• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC/Idler Pulley Removal

No, it won't work because there are two problems:

1. The idler pulley isn't ribbed and since your proposed routing involves the ribbed portion of the belt being in contact with it, it'll slip off.

2. The belt will foul against the t'stat housing.

You'll need to move the alternator up to make it work. I suggest that you also replace the clutch fan with an electric unit. That way you can get rid of the fan pulley as well as the idler pulley and end up with a simplified pulley arrangement like this:

routing.JPG

If you remove the clutch fan and put in an electric one, will it make the XJ run more efficient & cooler due to the less pull on the motor???? If you have to remove the pully as well then what size belt do i now need???

Thanks

BIG-G said:
If you remove the clutch fan and put in an electric one, will it make the XJ run more efficient & cooler due to the less pull on the motor????
Thanks

That's subject of debate, argument being that while there's less 'pull' on the motor...there's increased amperage draw to power the fan, thus increasing engine RPM. That's not cut and dry, though, as there are many variables that can be considered. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
That's subject of debate, argument being that while there's less 'pull' on the motor...there's increased amperage draw to power the fan, thus increasing engine RPM. That's not cut and dry, though, as there are many variables that can be considered. ;)

Ok so there will be definately LESS pull on the motor which is a good thing.....but your saying its gonna draw more juice. So what if i got a mean green alternator??? I already have a yellow-top optima so would that work??

The alternator is going to add more pull to the motor because the electric fan will pull more juice. The more juice an alternator has to provide, the higher the pull it has on the engine. This may or may not be more pull on the engine than the mechanical fan. On the other hand, the electric fan isn't going to be running constantly either while the mechanical one will.

BIG-G said:
Ok so there will be definately LESS pull on the motor which is a good thing.....but your saying its gonna draw more juice. So what if i got a mean green alternator??? I already have a yellow-top optima so would that work??

The downside of being all electric is that if you have a electrical failure like a drowned alt your cooling system fans will suck that yellow top down fast. At least with one electric and one mechanical you will have the major cooling done by the mechanical fan.
I've gotten along fine on mechanical fans, yea, bad fan clutches do happen but I know on at least one occasion when I lost my alt down at Ft Dix NJ while doing fire missions for artillery and two motor platoons on a sunday, 2 1/2 hours from the house. There was no way I would have made it home if I had had an electric fan in that S10. As it was the glow in my headlights were almost a memory when I pulled into the driveway.
Alot here have done the dual electric conversion and most have gone back to mech/electric but there are always a few diehards in every group who are happy with the dual electics...
The other reason I like the mech fan is that it always moves some air thru the engine compartment even when the clutch is socalled 'freewheeling', it's still moving air.

RichP said:
.........there are always a few diehards in every group who are happy with the dual electics....

He he, and you know I'm one of them. :D My XJ has been dual electric for the last five years and there's no way I'll go back to the clutch fan. The amp draw of both of my fans (they work in tandem) is pretty small and my stock alternator has no problem coping with the electrical load.

Back