• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ 4WD Wheel Bearing Question

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
Today when I went in for an alignment and to have my tires put on I was told I needed a new wheel bearing on the right side. They told I need and tried to sell me a hub assembly. Do I need the entire hub assembly or can I just change the bearings. The whole assembly was $135. If I can change out just the bearings which part or parts do I need? Say at PartsAmerica. I get a discount there. Also I was told I needed upper and lower balls on the left side. How can I tell if they are bad on my own?

The hub assembly is not rebuildable (even the dealers who had the tools available didn't rebuild the hubs) - It might be possible to find hubs cheaper, but not much.

If you don,t trust the mech who worked on your vehicle ,why did you take it there ?
The hub is best replaced as a unit and the price is right.Jack it up and shake the wheel,watch for movement in the joints,or movement in the wheel.
Wayne

Back