• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Question on JKS Quicker Disconnects

IdeaMan

NAXJA Forum User
My JKS Quicker Disconnects just came in. I have a 97 Cherokee at stock ride height. I guess I should have asked this earlier, but when disconected, will my brake lines be long enough? Also, if anyone who has installed these has any special installation tips, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

Take your front brake lines where they mount to the wheelwell and straighten them out and drill a new hole to remount them.

You may have trouble getting the stock lower swaybar link mounts out. They are splined and pressed in. There are several ways to get them out. I prefer an air hammer. Others use heat and a BFH. And some use a gear puller.

Since I don't own an air hammer, a gear puller, or a torch... what's my best bet? Will one of those small handheld propane torches work or should I just buy a small gear puller?

Autozone does loan-a-tool for gear pullers. i dont know if you all have them out west but i'm sure one of the big name parts stores out there does it. you buy the tool and then return it with the reciept any period of time later. its a specific tool that is recycled over, you dont scam them or anything. this is probably your best ( cheapest) bet

IdeaMan said:
Since I don't own an air hammer, a gear puller, or a torch... what's my best bet? Will one of those small handheld propane torches work or should I just buy a small gear puller?

an Oxy-Acetylene Torch will get much warmer much quicker than a propane one if your going to go buy a new one get an oxy one, they aren't much more expensive neither is the gas.

I ended up cutting half the splined bolt off and using a gear puller that I bought at Harbor Freight for $7. The key here (incase anyone is attempting this) is to make sure the bolt is cut straight so the puller doesn't try to slide off. I learned this the hard way! Getting those splined bolts out is a real pain in the a$$ and took most of the install time.

IdeaMan said:
I ended up cutting half the splined bolt off and using a gear puller that I bought at Harbor Freight for $7. The key here (incase anyone is attempting this) is to make sure the bolt is cut straight so the puller doesn't try to slide off. I learned this the hard way! Getting those splined bolts out is a real pain in the a$$ and took most of the install time.

I just carefully cut out the bolt head at the Torx hole with a bit the same diameter as the bolt. Before I got through to the end link bracket, I used a chisel and one solid whack from the 5lb sledge to break the head off. Rest of the bolt came out with a couple of taps from the 5lb after that. :)

ECU88XJ said:
Autozone does loan-a-tool for gear pullers. i dont know if you all have them out west but i'm sure one of the big name parts stores out there does it. you buy the tool and then return it with the reciept any period of time later. its a specific tool that is recycled over, you dont scam them or anything. this is probably your best ( cheapest) bet

Be Careful, my Autozone has a 24 or 48 hour limit. Beyond that without a phonecall to the manager and you own it. I was doing spring/struts on my wife's camaro and it took a whole 3 day weekend. I called ahead and they were cool about it being late but said noramally you own the tool if it's late.

all you need is a c-clamp and a big socket... you dont need a torch or any special gear puller....

might as well buy that 36 mm socket that you'll need one day for the d30 hub nut...

Back