• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Subwoofer Mounting

Knownuser04

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I need some creative ideas on how I should mount my subwoofer. The subwoofer I have is an Adire Audio Tumult. If anyone knows of Adire, they probably know that this sub is pretty damn big. Its a 15" sub, and weighs 61lbs. I already know the specs. for the box that im going to build. I plan on wheeling with my sub in the back. The sub is going to be firing up. I know this probably isnt the best method, but i think there is a way to secure it and/or build the box with enough bracing to hold it in place during rough moments. My worry is that the box will get ripped from the bolts if i use bolts to connect it somehow to the frame.
Can someone shed some light on whether or no it will be possible to do some hardcore wheeling with a very heavy sub/box (probably 120-140lbs combined). Also, where is the best place to drill holes for bolts to hold it down. Thanks.

If anything, do not drill strait into the floor, unless you move the gastank out of the way first. You might have known that already, but I didn't when I let a friend do the mounting for me. If you build a box, you may want to consider making it a storage box as well which covers the entire cargo area, creating a lifted floor.

i have a 18" treo in a massive box sitting where my rear seat use to be firing back. it is sloped on the front and back, lets my seats still lean back pretty far. i just use a ratchet strap going across the top. you could probably use one on opposite corners and that should be good.

Put enough velcro on the bottom of the box and it won't go anywhere!! I've got a 12" infity kappa with the amp mounted on the box in mine and it doesn't move. Make the coeffiecient of friction between the box and the carpet high enough and it won't move. You've got alot of weight there, use friction to your advantage

gtpolkus said:
Put enough velcro on the bottom of the box and it won't go anywhere!! I've got a 12" infity kappa with the amp mounted on the box in mine and it doesn't move. Make the coeffiecient of friction between the box and the carpet high enough and it won't move. You've got alot of weight there, use friction to your advantage
youve got to be joking? 70# held down by velcro is gonna move regardless even if you cover every square inch

Ramsey said:
youve got to be joking? 70# held down by velcro is gonna move regardless even if you cover every square inch

edit: woohoo 2ooo posts!

damnit, who moved the edit button right before i clicked it. moderator aisle 3!

70lbs of sub, whooooeeee, thats like having a bag of sand back there all the time... I'd have that mounted to a steel frame with grade 5 or 8 bolts, in a front end accident that puppy would punch a hole thru the truck...

thats sub and box. nothing i would ever buy again, but i was 16 and trying to get deaf really quick. two ratchet straps hold that sucker down real nice

I still wouldn't trust just velcro to hold that much weight. What happens if he rolls it or even just goes on his side on a trail? I'd find a way to bolt it or strap it down.

very very good velcro would work for everyday use probably. but if your bouncing around on a trail it wouldnt stay put long, or as rich pointed out earlier in a crash, or just having to slam on the brakes hard it would be useless

Im a little worried about velcro. I also want to be protected in accident (if possible) and i dont think that velcro on the bottom, which is gonna be about 22x22" will hold a 130lb box down if i have to hit the breaks. If i do drop the gas tank will it be possible to run a few grade 8 bolts through the bottom of the box and attatch it to something solid. I mean, is there somthing strong there? I would imagine that there would be, but then again, if i have to drop the tank, when i put the tank back up, is the tank gonna be in the way?
I am making an amp rack to go in between the sub box, and a cargo box that is going to looks similar to my sub box. I will have pics when i get done with the project.
I dont really want to remove the seats. Would the spare tire carrier thing be strong enough, since i am eventually going to run my spare on a roof rack?
Thanks a lot for everyones help/input. Later.

If you put some 1/8" or 3/16" plate between the bolts and the floor, from the outside, that would definitly minimize your chance of it pulling through. That how people mount their cages to unibody cherokees....If you can weld, you can make mounts that go through the floor and extend out to the "frame rails"

When I moved my sparetire to the bumper, I built a custom box to go in its original location. Making the box was a PITA b/c of the large notches required for going around the gas filler and wheelwell, but I got it to fit flush against the left side of the trunk.

I removed the trim panel and had a piece of steel bracing welded below where the original spare tire mounting bolt was. Then a grade 8 bolt goes through the steel brace and through the trim panel. With the trim panel back in place it just looks like a bolt sticking through it out into the trunk.

The back of my sub enclosure has a hole in it at the propper location that allows me to slide the sub against the left side of the trunk and secure it with a gasket and nut inside the sub box to hold it in place. Once it is mounted you bolt in the speaker, and you are good to go. It is not going anywhere. This might not work in your application depending on how big your box is.

Sorry I don't have pictures, but if you have questions ask.

Colby

:01of5: .

XJ_ranger said:
:01of5: .
your right. hey do you smell that? yep thats what i thought...JU. sure i commented in it but i do those things

Back