• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a 12V outlet

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
outlet.jpg

Just figured that I would post this up as an idea for others to see. I needed an extra outlet in the back to run my electric cooler so I rigged this up. I went to NAPA and bought a universal cigarette lighter outlet, pulled off the back panel and cut out a section of the insulation and mounted it. It was very easy, I ran it to constant power out of the fuse box, and fused it to 20 amps, using one of these http://www.sportys-catalogs.com/sho...cts/Mini_Blade_Add_a_Circuit_Fuse_Holder.html. Those things are the best, I have them for everything that I can.

What gauge wire did you run? I want to do the same thing to run an inverter mounted where your first aid kit is.

I used 4 gauge wire for my inverter (800W under rear seat). Ran Romex 14/3 wire to the front bumper and installed a double 110 outlet. Runs the coffee maker, fan, lights (drop light for nighttime repairs works real well) anything under 7 amps.

For a 12V outlet at 20A you'd want 12 AWG wire minimum, 10 would be better.

karstic said:
What gauge wire did you run? I want to do the same thing to run an inverter mounted where your first aid kit is.

The fuse used should be in proportion to your wire size. Contrary to popular belief, the fuse is not to protect the device, but rather the wire in case of an overload. When a wire has too much current running through it, it heats up and acts like the filament in a light bulb. This is what causes electrical fires.

If you run 12 AWG wire, then a 20A fuse or smaller is correct. If you run 16 AWG, then 15A fuse or smaller. The higher the wire size, the smaller the wire.

Check the power usage of your most load bearing device and start from there. Run the wire size you need to properly handle the load of the device and install the proper fuse size. Multiply by 3 the current usage and run that wire size and fuse accordingly.

Too small a wire + too large current + too large fuse = fire.

got one of them too -
1yww2p

pabloconrad said:
Too small a wire + too large current + too large fuse = fire.

Tell me about it. I had my 2 KC lights hooked up w/ too small of a wire, with no relay(yeah i had no idea what i was doing at the time)=a really odd strobe show and then fire.

Very nice...reminds me to re-add that to my "to-do" list.

Opie - where'd you get the covered outlet?

Yucca-Man said:
Very nice...reminds me to re-add that to my "to-do" list.

Opie - where'd you get the covered outlet?
hmm - Opie - ok ill bite

WestMarine - a local "marine" grade parts store for boats in CA, though, i believe they have a website...
here she be! http://www.westmarine.com/

this one is similar to mine - only it has the cooler HD metal housing... damn
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=10001&classNum=316&subdeptNum=124&storeNum=9

i also saw one in the HELP! section at autozone (not covered though)

Yeah, I've got a 'Help!' outlet that's going into my center console for aux power for cellphone, etc.

Was looking for something for the rear, and will hit up the boat shops. Thanks.

could you explain how you wire those for a total newbie to the electircy game! or point me to a write up or specific directions. (if you need proof of my sub par education level of electrical knowledge check out the oem tech forum!)

Mike

well there is a HOT wire, and a GROUND wire - the hot usualy being red. you attach the HOT wire to a source power (with solder, and a connector if your doing it right) put a fuse somewhere in the HOT wire that will blow before what the wire is rated at (the inline spade fuses work nice for this) and attach that to the HOT section of the cigarette outlet - dont remember off hand, but it will be labeled. (again use solder to do it right)
Then take heat shrink and slide it over your conectors and use a lighter to shrink the heat shrink to the wire, seal it, and protect it from contacting a ground.

for the GROUND or negitive, attach a wire to the ground post on the cigarette lighter plug(use solder) and attach that to something metal on the rig - painted surfaces dont work as well... usualy i find a bolt somewhere and put a crimp on (and solder) conector on the wire and tighten the bolt back up.
no need for heat shrink on the ground - as it will only touch more ground which would be good.

if you want to install a switch - always switch the positive line as well with the fuse - always on the positive line...

HTH

bgcntry72 said:
Stay tuned next week when we install 'clear corners' on Extreme Mod Tech.

Dude, don't knock the clear corners. I hear that's the hottest option on Honda Ridgelines after Mugen Power stickers and spoilers. *Lots* of spoilers.

Back