• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dyno type knowledge...

ArcticXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any online dyno's that are fairly accurate that would have knowledge of jeeps?

Or maybe someone here can help me...
Just wondering what I should expect out of the few bolt-ons Ive slapped on the 190 horse 4.0 in the xj. So far: Short tube open air intake with K&N (5hp?) Bored 62mm TB, 1" TB spacer (5hp?), MSD ign, dist, coil, wires and Bosch plugs (5hp?), Banks header (5hp?), flowmaster exhaust (5hp?), Jet Chip/91 octane (5hp?). Would I be close in assuming just about 25 or 30 extra horse and about the same gain in ft/lbs? Seem like logical guesses or am I shooting too high? Im wanting to know if the money for this crap was all worth it or not, since I'll be starting another jeep buildup soon. If youve done all this stuff or similar, would you shell out the dough to do it again, or no?

Its really a crap shoot with those things. Engines vary by enough you could put all that stuff on one engine and see a 20hp gain on another 5hp.

I don't have much experience on those devices on a 4L but I can tell you the gains and losses I've been on other motors.

TB spacer - this works by increasing the equivelent runner length of the intake. It will boost low end torque but cost you hp at higher rpm's.

MSD stuff - this stuff gives you more power if your stock ignition system is too weak to meet the demands of the motor. Unless you have done some significant work in airlow in and out of the engine.

Header & Exhaust - The banks header will make your motor more peaky but not add much to you power curve. Exhaust is a double edged sword it can increase torque and power to a certain extent but if you over do it you get nothing.

What I would do is cough up some bucks and do a dyno pull. It's cheap and you will know how much you gained and whether the $/horse is worth it.

ArcticXJ said:
Are there any online dyno's that are fairly accurate that would have knowledge of jeeps?

Or maybe someone here can help me...
Just wondering what I should expect out of the few bolt-ons Ive slapped on the 190 horse 4.0 in the xj. So far: Short tube open air intake with K&N (5hp?) Bored 62mm TB, 1" TB spacer (5hp?), MSD ign, dist, coil, wires and Bosch plugs (5hp?), Banks header (5hp?), flowmaster exhaust (5hp?), Jet Chip/91 octane (5hp?). Would I be close in assuming just about 25 or 30 extra horse and about the same gain in ft/lbs? Seem like logical guesses or am I shooting too high? Im wanting to know if the money for this crap was all worth it or not, since I'll be starting another jeep buildup soon. If youve done all this stuff or similar, would you shell out the dough to do it again, or no?

A 25-30hp and 25-30lbft gain sounds about right.

Dr. Dyno said:
A 25-30hp and 25-30lbft gain sounds about right.
Thanks.
I'd love to plunk down some change for a good dyno run, but nobody (that I know of) has one up here in Alaska. Even if someone did, they'd more than likely be one of, if not, THE only one around.... which equals a dyno monopoly, which as we know, equals big freaking bucks.

Back