• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear winch

cjohnson

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running a winch in the back? How do you have it set up? I'm just curious. With the prices of winches getting lower and more options on the market, I was just wondering if that might be a good mod, but I haven't seen much along those lines with XJ's.

A receiver mounted winch is easy to set up, just run heavy gauge wire to the back and get some disconnect plugs.

The only thing I've heard of is the 2 inch receiver mount plate that holds a winch. Several of those around and not hard to make.
Though I wouldn't consider it. Bad enough lugging the weight of the front one around. Unless you go out by yourself. Which isn't the best idea.

I have A Warn multi-mount with the rear plug also, so I can pull off both ends.

Yeah, I've seen the multi-mount, but they are a lot more expensive. I was just thinking that if I could get ahold of another M8000 or even a mile marker for $300 or so, it might be convenient to have one mounted in the back. I know I get a lot of use out of mine on the front and sometimes it gets a little hairy if you're alone (rare) or if you're the last guy in line.

I'm not sold on this concept, but I've seen several vehicles with this set up lately and no XJs. I'm more thinking outloud than anything.

are you thinking a rear winch to pull out backwards and pull others out or are you thinking a rear winch to suck down your rear end for technical crawling to control your vehicle wieght??

It would not be for technical crawling. More to pull out backwards.

how often do you get stuck and your only option is going out backwards? do you wheel by yourself or do a lot of mudding??? sounds like a waste. just my 2cents, didn't mean to knock your ideas but....
-cal

cjohnson said:
It would not be for technical crawling. More to pull out backwards.

I've used my hi-lift as a comelong to winch myself out backwards before, slow but it worked.The more power pullers work pretty good too.

This guy has a winch mounted to the rear. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=4530527180&category=6281&sspagename=WDVW

So does this xj.
new_60_57_full253.jpg

Hope that helps. I personally really don't think that it is worth it.

That all makes sense. I've also used the hilift-comealong method and at that time would have paid double to have a winch! I suppose I can save the rear winch idea for when I do my dually conversion! LOL

Here is a pic of my XJ with a rear mounted Milemarker 9000.

aed.jpg

Back