• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case Drop / Skid

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
Did the 3.5" RE Lift this past weekend on my 2001 XJ and now I have some pretty good DS Vibes going on. So I decided I would fab up my own T-case Drop until I can go and get an SYE and CV Driveshaft.

When I look at T-case drops on-line, they are 4 Bolts and some sort of spacer. None of them are designed for what I am about to explain.

Here's my issue (this is great), there are 4 bolts, 2 Screw into the Frame (as they should, one on each side) and 2 point downward coming out of the frame and are pressed in.....

47b5dc02b3127cce903a166a527400000016108AaNmrVu0ZNs

upside down (sorry)
47b5dc02b3127cce903a166bd34500000016108AaNmrVu0ZNs

I have NEVER seen this before and haven't heard of anyone having this issue. Does anybody else's t-case bolts look like this????

I have found a solution which I am gonna try tonight. I bought a 1" Barrel Nut that will screw onto the existing bolt and then I will screw in a nut into the Barrel nut (I'll take pix tonite).

nope - that is a stud -
pull it out, and put a bolt in there.

use a method of your choice -

Vicegrip
StudPuller
Jamnuts
weld a nut on there
sawzall, drill, retap

there was a write up on this -
i seem to remember that yuccaman pulled his for his RE drop bracket braces...

www.yuccaman.com

search around there...

Its a stud. You replace it with a normal bolt that is longer, just like the other two. Some people have had luck with just using vise grips or a pipe wrench to back them out. I suggest getting your hands on two nuts with the proper thread pattern and using one as a jamnut for the other. That way you can turn the appropriate nut and it wont be able to move due to the jamnut, thus turning the stud and backing it out. Hope that helps.

Just take the 2 nuts that had been on the 2 studs and put them both on the same stud, lock them against each other, and remove the stud. PB blaster is your friend! They'll probably take a bit of force to remove as well, and tightening them a little first can help to break them loose. HTH!

Thanks guys - I feel like a tard now - HAHA I just didn't want to start cranking on it and strip it out before I knew what it was.

TJ's are so much easier.........

Thanks again....

My drop kit came from Skyjacker and is hollowed out piece of long,square bar stock. With this kit you use the stud. The bolt gets replaced with a longer bolt, the stud goes through the top of the spacer and tightened with a nut in the middle of the spacer and a short bolt goes up through the crossmember and bottom of spacer and gets tightened with a nut. The short bolt stopping just short of but in line with the stud. I thought this was a good kit, much better then one that makes you remove the stud, but if your making your own, the hollow square bar stock is another alternative. Good luck.

SharkTJ said:
Great - Thanks. But why did you go with 2"x1" Tubing? I was thinking of just getting 1"x1".

Because the contact area of the cross member onto the frame is that large. Otherwise it looks bad too with the cross member sticking out past the 1" tube.

Back