• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Question

RacerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96XJ and it sounded like a front bearing was going. I jacked the front up end up and proceeded to spin the front wheels. The bearings seem fine but I noticed that when I spin either wheel, the front driveshaft also turns. Is this right??

Also, the transfer case is hot from driving home. I figured the front driveshaft didn't spin in 2WD and if it did, why would it be spinning gears in the transfer case to make it hot?

One last thing. When I do spin the front wheels, the driveshaft makes a squeaking sound like rubber rubbing on rubber. The sound seems to come from the coupling where the driveshaft goes into the transfer case.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but that rubbing sound can't be right. Thanks in advance.

Yes on the 96 the front driveshaft does spin in 2x. Don't know about the noise but have you greased any of the joints lately? If not grease them with a grease gun. Second thought on the noise might be the output yoke sheild. Some have them and some don't but it might be rubbing the case or dirt that has built up around it. Check it out and grease it up then check it again.

mark
orgs mfg

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try. It has been a while since I have greased the joints. It doesn't appear as though there is any dirt build up, but I'll recheck and se if I can lube it up any. Thanks for the help.

Back