• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Opyions For Lift W/ Front Susp Still Up In Th Air

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
I know ive asked before btu im getting somany different ways that im lost. Here we go on whats on muy mind and my $5 dollar budjet, Rear saggs so a full length AAL is first decision OR search around for dakota or S-10 leaf pack. (which would u guys go for?). Second is i can updrade the shackles for more height. Now of course i will extend the brake lines, disconnect the rear sway, eventually get new shocks but a kit im lookin at comes with em for a 4.5" lift. Do i need to use bump stops at this height and what size should they be on all 4 corners?? And then i may get the rustys 4.5" lift kilt which gives me the shackles and AAL. (but i cant afford it right now so im guess i'll start looking for the dakota packs. QUESTION IS, do i need a new set of u bolts and new leaf clamps and what brands have the best of these?? Plus while im there should i put in urethane bushings??? Any links to product pages w/prices is a big help!! Im thinkin 4" to 6" of lift with a dakota pack, an add a leaf and shackles. That shouldnt cost much but then the rear should be higher so onto the next thread....

If you are thinking of getting the rustys 4.5" lift kit wait and get the full spring pack. you wont need bumpstops unless you are running a larger tire then recomended and even then you can just do some fender triming. i wouldnt mess with saging stock leaf packs but thats just me. if its saging its wearing out and you might as well replace it right?

OK, (to the front lift...), with a dakota leaf pack, a full length AAL, longer shackles, how much lift u think that is? (4" or 5" or 6" freferred!). If it sits higher then the front, will coil spacers and either extended shock shackles or longer throw ones raize it bac to level untill i have the $$??????
Rustys 4.5 kit. It includes, all 4 shocks, control arms, adj trac bar, 4.5" coils, 4.5" full length AAL, greasable shackles, shackles, t-case drop, transfer case drop, (will get skids), brake line extentions, front swaybar extentions which i.ll remove for quick disconnects.
Now if i just do the dakota/S-10 packs, that may do it for now and the kit will have the AAL & the shacles. Overal i wanna nice enough lift to "stick out" amonst other XJ's. ALL OPINIONS AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Cant realy afford the leaf pack and would rather go to the scrap yard with my mech and pick out dakota/S-10 packs. After instal i can gudge then. BUT i dont wanna stiffer ride!!! Daily Driver!!!

First off, I'm going to say: search. Search again, and then search some more. You will get much more information that way. That said, here are some answers:
BIG-G said:
Rear saggs so a full length AAL is first decision OR search around for dakota or S-10 leaf pack. (which would u guys go for?).
Build your own leaf pack. Mix and match any 2.5" wide leaf springs to custom build your own. Its the cheapest option for a good rear lift. Might be nice to combine that with a lift shackle, but you will have to consider the effects on your pinion angle then.
BIG-G said:
Second is i can updrade the shackles for more height. Now of course i will extend the brake lines, disconnect the rear sway, eventually get new shocks but a kit im lookin at comes with em for a 4.5" lift.
You can upgrade shackles, but they really don't yield very much height. You shouldn't 'eventually' get new shocks. Do it now. Start with bar pin eliminators for a little added length. Don't lift until you have shocks that match your lift height. Take off the rear sway and toss it. Definitely extend your brake lines and rework your ebrake bracket to go with the lift.
BIG-G said:
Do i need to use bump stops at this height and what size should they be on all 4 corners??
You need to adjust your bumpstops even if you are only lifting it 2". Bumpstops are extremely important to consider. There won't be a set size that will work for you. Generally, they should be extended by the same amount as your lift, but the best way to do it is to cycle your suspension after its lifted and then adjust your bumpstops as necessary in order to keep your tires off your body.
BIG-G said:
QUESTION IS, do i need a new set of u bolts and new leaf clamps and what brands have the best of these??
Yes to both. If you significantly change the thickness of your leaf pack, then your original ubolts probably won't fit. You can get them custom bent at a spring shop or most parts places. Buy good ones so you don't have any regrets. Leaf spring clamps (AKA rebound clips) are cheap and plentiful. You can buy them at most parts places, but you can also cheaply make your own. Look at the tech section on Rock Lizard Fabrications. Easy instructions on making some good ones cheaply.
BIG-G said:
Plus while im there should i put in urethane bushings??? Any links to product pages w/prices is a big help!! Im thinkin 4" to 6" of lift with a dakota pack, an add a leaf and shackles. That shouldnt cost much but then the rear should be higher so onto the next thread....
Some guys will say yes to urethane, but I prefer rubber. I think its mostly a personal preference thing. Some will say urethane lasts longer than rubber, but it transmits more vibration to the body. So....you decide. You can make a leaf pack to provide you with as much lift as you want or need.

Other consideration. Depending on the year of your XJ, you will likely have to address driveshaft vibes. Go with an SYE if you can afford it, or you may at least have to drop your transfercase a bit to cope with vibes. Its been said dozens of times on this site, but: 3" is a lift that can be done cheaply, 5"+ it gets costly as all the other things you need to do to it to make it functional really start to add up. You haven't mentioned it, but have you regeared yet? What tire size? What year is your XJ? How have you dealt with the front lower and upper control arms, steering and track bar?
Try these websites too for more information:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/
http://members.aol.com/Stvns/
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/
Good luck,
B.

thanks beej - that was exactly what my research has led me too as well

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0

I just used these on my lift and got about 3 1/2 inches with the overload removed. They ride better than my old inverted leaf springs (previous owner towed a boat). They also come with rubber bushings so that is a plus for comfort and shims for your axle.

At about $85 each they're worth saving a little longer for.

Edit: BTW, if you go this route you won't need new u-bolts or leaf clamps

Billabong1416 said:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0

I just used these on my lift and got about 3 1/2 inches with the overload removed. They ride better than my old inverted leaf springs (previous owner towed a boat). They also come with rubber bushings so that is a plus for comfort and shims for your axle.

At about $85 each they're worth saving a little longer for.

Edit: BTW, if you go this route you won't need new u-bolts or leaf clamps

Those springs from summit are softer ridding then the stock XJ's?? I'd rather buy a new pack if its affordable and these seem good 2 me! They come with the bushings AND shims!?? How much lift did u get?? U can still add 1" or 2" shackles as well & get decent height right!??

Back