• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front DS in Rear

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I know a number of people on here have done this.

I want to install the RE hack and tap SYE on my 231 t-case. From what I understand, i need about 4" of lift for the front driveshaft to work in the rear without having to shorten it. I will only be running 3" of lift. Can I just lengthen the rear bumpstops by 1" to keep from bottoming the driveshaft when I am offroad?

Also, do I need to change the yoke on my 8.25 rear axle to make the front DS mate up to it?

Thanks.

Geoff
1996, auto, 4.0, D30, 8.25, np231.

same u-joint front and rear so that will mate up, just need the adapter for the other end to hook up to hte sye. i'll be doing this soon hopefully, got to scavage parts, let me know how it goes.

So Basically you are taking a XJ front shaft and running it on the rear? How well does that hold up to torque? A buddy of mine has actually gotten a dshaft from the front that the splines were twisted.

gcam said:
I know a number of people on here have done this.

I want to install the RE hack and tap SYE on my 231 t-case. From what I understand, i need about 4" of lift for the front driveshaft to work in the rear without having to shorten it. I will only be running 3" of lift. Can I just lengthen the rear bumpstops by 1" to keep from bottoming the driveshaft when I am offroad?

Also, do I need to change the yoke on my 8.25 rear axle to make the front DS mate up to it?

Thanks.

Geoff
1996, auto, 4.0, D30, 8.25, np231.

By "adapter", Ramsey means the Currie flange adapter. It's out of a YJ kit. They don't have a part number but they will know what you mean when you ask for it. You'll have to search to find the name but it's been discussed before. If you buy from Currie don't tell them what you are using it for. It's my understanding that they don't know and they may raise the price if they do.

Also just recently (within the last few weeks) a spicer part number was listed as it was also used in t-birds and other cars.

Run a quick search and you will find the part number you desire.

spicer part number 211229 x This is what you need to match the u-joint to the sye flange

anyone done this recently. gathering parts and hope to do it in the next month or so

the tom woods driveshafts are the same strength as a stock front shaft

my front shaft is too short to be used in the rear by about 1/2"

Ramsey said:
anyone done this recently. gathering parts and hope to do it in the next month or so

I did, but it was with an Advance Adapters SYE. Mine bolted right up to each other. It has been about a year and a half installed.

For the extra $$ the adapter thing costs, you might as well just go with the full SYE instead of the hack and tap.

its only 40 more for the adapter and the sye is only 80. still no where close to the price of an sye. if i had an older style t-case with the more expensive hack and tap then i definetly would consider it.

LA zj what kind of sye do you have and do you know how long your front shaft is

Edit: ecksjay waht length is your shaft you are using, and lift height as well

i'll work that part out later. still learly of opening up the t-case or dropping it as well. need something that can be done in an evening...anyways yeah i know that would be better but it is about 60 more and i'm on a very limited budget...damnit i'll work this one out later.

so yeah about those front shafts in th rear :laugh: damn that sounds dirty

Ramsey said:
Edit: ecksjay waht length is your shaft you are using, and lift height as well

I'm at ~6"...haven't measured. ;)

Shaft I'm using is what was OEM on my 95, 4.0L/AW4/NP231: 30.660" collapsed, Spicer assembly part # 915374-1903, OEM part # 53005542. :)

thanks, is that a spicer # for the driveshaft.

I bought the porc sye Brett mentioned and run a front shaft in the rear also. AW4/231/8.25. It is a little on the short side for the slip to be centered but there is still plenty of slip for the height I'm currently at.

HTH

dirk, what height are you at

Ramsey said:
dirk, what height are you at

Sorry, 3 in front and about 3.5 in the rear.

I was all set to buy a High Angle Driveline shaft but my spare front shaft fit fine so now I can't justify spending $285 on a new shaft just to gain 1/2".

After this weekend I'll let you know how it does flexed out as I haven't been on the trails since the install.

thanks!

Back