• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift confusion

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning to do a 4" lift on my XJ as soon as I can allocate the cash and am kinda confused on what all I actually need for a 4" lift. Heres what I think I need. The vehicle is a '90 4.0, AX15, NP231, D30 disco front, D35 rear, 3.07 gears

2 4" Coil Springs
2 4" Leaf Packs
4 4" Shocks
LCA drop brackets (Upper and lower?)
Adjustable trac bar
New steering stablizer

Do I need different brake lines, and an e brake cable?
Are the vacuum lines for the disco long enough? or should i just take this oppurtunity to swap in a non disco d30 out front? Will the hog's head swap in if I cant find one with the same gears? (hell if I do swap in a different front axle I might as well find a donor with a D44 rear and swap them both out) What about driveline woes?

Thanks,
Ecarlcl

Ecarlcl said:
I am planning to do a 4" lift on my XJ as soon as I can allocate the cash and am kinda confused on what all I actually need for a 4" lift. Heres what I think I need. The vehicle is a '90 4.0, AX15, NP231, D30 disco front, D35 rear, 3.07 gears

2 4" Coil Springs
2 4" Leaf Packs
4 4" Shocks
LCA drop brackets (Upper and lower?)
Adjustable trac bar
New steering stablizer

Do I need different brake lines, and an e brake cable?
Are the vacuum lines for the disco long enough? or should i just take this oppurtunity to swap in a non disco d30 out front? Will the hog's head swap in if I cant find one with the same gears? (hell if I do swap in a different front axle I might as well find a donor with a D44 rear and swap them both out) What about driveline woes?

Thanks,
Ecarlcl
You're going to need to lengthen the e-brake cables - it's a work-in-progress at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dana44.html

You're going to need a longer rear brakeline as well, and could use new ones up front also although you might be able to get away with YJ lines and/or relocating the hardline mount point ower on the 'frame'

The vacuum lines run along the passenger-side LCA; they should be fine. By "hogs head" you mean the carrier and ring gear? You could move the carrier over but would have to bring the pinion as well and set up the gears again.

Don't forget swaybar extensions.

Don't rule out an SYE either; although you have an early model t-case you may still need an SYE and driveshaft. See http://www.4x4getaways.com/oldmansye.htm for a budget method of doing that.

Did anyone ever do a tech write up for this kind of lift? Sounds like you have to dig pretty deep to lift it 4"

ecarlcl

Ecarlcl said:
Did anyone ever do a tech write up for this kind of lift? Sounds like you have to dig pretty deep to lift it 4"

ecarlcl

lol I didnt notice that you wrote up everything on your site. Thanks for doing that.

You don't "need" the control arm drop bracket kit on a 4" lift, and you only need a new stabilizer if your stock one is worn out.

Yucca-man is right about needing new hydraulic brake lines front and rear, along with longer swaybar endlinks for the front (preferrably quick disconnects).

If you're planning on piecing together the lift, then you've got to think about all these things, but if you're looking for a complete lift, I'd go with the RE6130 kit. It comes with full rear leaf packs, and everything you'll need for a good 4.5" kit.

not unless you just want to run them. 4.5" of lift is really kinda the boundary for needing them. Any taller and I'd definitely do them, but at 4.5" it's really up to you.

You can always convert your VD d30 to a non disconnect. All you have to do is find a one piece axle out of an xj/tj/zj and they all fit. I ended up usinf a D44 seal inside the vacum housing, removing all the vacum motor parts, and installing the cover back on it. Works great. If you use a 97 and newer set of axles you also get the stronger u-joints.

Patrick

Back