• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has a peugot in their jeep?

white99z

NAXJA Forum User
Who is running the peugot transmissions in their jeeps and what kind of problems do you have. I found a jeep and another member brought to my knowledge the problems with this tranny but i did a search and didnt find much of what i was looking for. What kind of problems does the tranny have? Is it possible to swap an ax-15 into it when the tranny goes out? The one on this jeep pops out of reverse unless you hold it. Should I just look for an xj that is an 89 with ax-15 or newer? I need to know quick because I need to tell my dad not to put insurance on this jeep asap if im not gonna get it (I was planning on coming home from college friday and picking it up so he needs to have proof of insurance so i can drive it home)

My son's 89 with 102k miles is hard to get into 2nd untill it warms up even with synthetic oil in it. I've talked to people who have then and no problems.

JoBo

I have zero experience with this gearbox in Jeeps. However, I've run a couple of Peugeots with them in the past.

They're really not a bad tranny, but need to be shifted sympathetically or the synchros can wear out fairly rapidly. As was pointed out, they do take a while to warm up (usually about 5 minutes or so); this isn't necessarily a sign of a failing gearbox, though. Second gear being balky sounds about right from what I remember.

If it's in good shape and driven properly, it should last pretty much indefinitely. They like oil changes every 30,000 miles (and I really recommend using the factory-specified oil; can't remember the weight off the top of my head). Adding Lucas oil stabiliser in the recommended proportions doesn't hurt, and helps with cold running. They also make various gear oils, but I've never run those as going the additive route seemed safer so can't comment on them.

God forbid your tranny ever breaks; it *will* be expensive to fix or replace (unless you find a junker Peugeot 505 with the BA10/5 in it) compared to the others that AMC/Chrysler used over the years. Most people still running Peugeots tend to go the replacement rather than repair route, since buying a dead car with a good tranny is much cheaper than rebuilding it.

My opinion is that it's basically a good gearbox, but the Jeeps that it was used in were not a suitable application for it. I suspect that Renault had a hand in specifying this box during development, though I can't for the life of me imagine why - it was never designed for heavy-duty use, and had to be bought in from a rival manufacturer. Then again, I gave up trying to figure out Renault's thinking years ago.

I have one in my 87 LAredo. It currently has 282,000 kilometers on it (ex-Canadian model). The only problems I see compared to my wifes 96 (180K miles) are that it doesn't like going into 2nd first thing on cold winter mornings. If it doesn't go in first time I return to neutral and try again. Pull it back with just a very mild ammount of pressure, and it will "catch" and fall into place. It will usually go in on the second try. By the time I get a few miles down the road it is shifting fine.

It is also on the original clutch, which is nearing its end. I would not be afraid to go for an earlier model with the Peugot in it. Remember any tranny will burst if you abuse it.

Hope this helps,

Copperhead

XJ's are starting to get cheap - I would go with a newer XJ with the AX-15 or an auto. I have an '88 and I replaced the Peugeot, which I think is a POS, with a AX-15 out of an 98 (if my memory is still working) for about $800.00 when all was said and done. I've been really happy with my new tranny, but if I was looking at buying an XJ today I would go with the later models. Personally I like a stick shift, but in a lot of ways an auto is the way to go in a 4X4, still I just like grinding them gears. Good Luck

Woody

I would really look for a newer one that has the ax-15. I've owned both and spent lots of money on fixing the old peugot pos. I got my 96 5 speed with 76000 for only 4000.

1988 XJ, BA10/5 (Peugeot) tranny. 247,000 miles. The tranny is hard to shift into 2nd gear in cold weather.

Nothing wrong with the BA10/5 if you don't abuse it. If the Jeep is otherwise in decent shape, buy it and drive it until the tranny dies, then replace with an AX-15.

I had an 88 MJ 4x4 that had one and I had to have it rebuilt at 70,000 miles and had to replace it completely at 120,000. What the trans shops said was that the gears were made of a softer metal than necessary and that caused the gears to wear too fast. They also said that it was designed for a lighter vehicle. It was an expensive repair, around $1,600 each time, the second time I got lucky and found an AMC wrecking yard in Wilmington Cal that had bought up the local supply after Reneult bailed out of the U.S. market. I was told at the time (around 93/94) that Peogot had revised the alloy in the newer versions but the truck was totaled around 20,000 miles later so I can't say it was any better.

Wa Woody.... how tough was the swap from the Peugot to the AX-15? What needs to be changed? Anything need to be fabricated? Would it be worth it to get the truck and do the swap down the road? I havent found any jeeps in as decent of shape as this one for the price ($800). I will have enough money in the summer to do the swap if need be. Thanks for all of the help guys.

800 bucks, just buy it. I miss my old Laredo it was a classic. Worst case scenario you spend some money if trans goes south. good luck

Do a google search on swapping in AX-15 for a Peugeot BA 10/5. There are a couple of complete articles. One of the main considerations is the input gear on the transfercase. It's easier and probably no more expensive just to get a transfercase along with the tranny, rather than swap a 23 spline gear for the 21 spline gear in there now. The tranny mount is different, and the crossmember mounts at a different spot. The one article I read says you need a new bellhousing also.

The thing about the Peugeot is that it is expensive to fix. I have one with 200k km, and it shifts fine, except for clashing into 4th when warm. The clutch is starting to chatter also. I've had 2 AX-15's, and neither shifts gladly into 2nd when cold. The puke-goat shifts easier, it's just very sloppy. Be sure you get an AX-15 with an external slave cylinder, when the internal ones go and they will, they take the clutch with them.

Fred

Heres a BA10 to AX15 swap writeup

BA10 - AX15 Swap

I have an 88 with 222,000 miles an its just hard shifting, going from 2nd to 1rst is the hardest, got to double clutch it alot to get it in. But other than that all the other gears go in fine. It also has a hard time going ito reverse when cold. I see it lasting hopefully another year or two (knock on wood) but I havent made up my mind on what I will end up doing AX15, another BA10 but ill definatly keep with a 5spd. I have no complaints about this tranny its suppose to be a lemon but 200K+ miles you cant argue. Most other trannys go out way sooner. I love the 87-90 renix cherokees there great and most have hardly any work done and are still running strong there incredible

HTH TORX

Eagle said:
1988 XJ, BA10/5 (Peugeot) tranny. 247,000 miles. The tranny is hard to shift into 2nd gear in cold weather.

This matches my experiences in two Peugeots. One was an '85 505 with the XN6 4-cylinder. Bought it with 176,000 on the clock; sold it at 260,000 at which point the engine and tranny were swapped into another one with a shot drivetrain. AFAIK, that car is still going strong.

The other Pug in my hands that had this 'box was (IIRC) a 1988 505 V6 - capacity and output were comparable to the 2.8 V6 used in the XJ. Bought that with around 120,000 on the clock, sold it a few months later with about 140,000 on it. No problems there, either.

It's probably worth mentioning that the Peugeot 505 weighs around the same as an XJ, and has fairly comparable power outputs to the early XJ 4- and 6-cylinder engines. This suggests that abuse of the transmissions and/or use in environments it really wasn't designed for were the main culprits behind its demise rather than shortcomings in the transmission itself.

Nothing wrong with the BA10/5 if you don't abuse it. If the Jeep is otherwise in decent shape, buy it and drive it until the tranny dies, then replace with an AX-15.

Also, I should probably mention that if for some reason it fails and you do decide to replace it with a BA10/5 taken from a Peugeot, you'll probably have to regear the replacement - IIRC, the cars had different gearing to the XJs.

Possible donors are the Peugeot 505 and later 504s. Make sure it's a BA10/5 and not the BA10 - the BA10 looks very similar but was only a 4-speed. You may also find one in an end-of-series 604, particularly if it's a turbodiesel. 405s (the last Peugeot sold new in the US) used an entirely different drivetrain to the rear-drive cars so won't have what you're looking for.

I had the "poping outta gear problem" with my first jeep 85 pioneer 2.5l... and it just kept gettin worse and worse untill the lever for the 1st and fith gear broke and made the shifter sleeve fall onto one of the gears destroying the sleve and the arm (which was allready broken) the gear was ok but unloess you know how to pull the trani and replace the arms and things (its not to hard and waiting for the dealer parts took 6 weeks for me tho) then just get it and also since the parts were "special order / no longer continued parts" i had to get the newer arms meaning i had to get the dif screw that holds them together (no longer a pin) and that was $15 oh well it worked just fine after that... oh yea mine was a 5spd didnt think to look if yours was or not saw the topic and figured i would blindly throw my 2cents in and hope i was talkin about the same trani or topic at-least...
sorry loooong day...

Trent

I'll go ahead and echo what's been said in general. If you like the jeep otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of people like to bitch and moan about the Peugot tranny on here, but I've got one in my rig and I haven't had any problems with it yet at all, and it's been in the rig for almost 250,000 miles now. It's definitely not the most desireable tranny in the XJ, but it will last if you go easy on it. Mine's starting to get a little tough to shift into 2nd when it's REALLY cold out, but other than that it works perfectly and the only thing I've done to it is change the fluid.

I'm only the second owner of this rig, previous owners never did anything to the transmission (including changing the fluid, apparently... the old fluid was black and thin). Just draining and replacing the fluid did wonders for the general feel of the tranny... it shifts very smooth.

Let's see - 88 Laredo 4.0/BA-10/231. 240K miles.

First is a little looser than it was, second is fair-to-middlin'. Reverse gets a little strange - sometimes I have to roll forward a few inches to let reverse engage (it won't go at all every now and then. Just an inch or so seems to solve the problem.)

I've got to get my hands on an AX-15 or NV3550 - anyone have one handy?

5-90

I have a BA-10/5 in my '88 Comanche. The clock says 140K, but the speedo wasn't working when I bought it. The clutch cylinder went out then the internal slave cylinder. Since I am replacing the engine and tranny, I'm wating. The Peugot works, but the 3-4 syncros are weak. I am replacing it with a NV3550. I'd expect about $800 for a complete NV3550, if you look around. Its external slave cylinder. Also, Adavanced Adapters has a slave cylinder set-up for the swap. Its from a Toyota LandCruiser with the mount modified. Then you can use your original Master cylinder. I am also planning on using the cross member from a Cherokee when I do the swap. Advanced Adapters has a cross member adapter if you don't go this route. I think the NV3550 has a bit higher final drive ratio than the Peugot. This should result in a bit better milage.
Tom

I have a stock 88 Cherokee 4.0 with the Puegot. Mine is working fine although I have replaced the slave cylinder twice. I put synthetic lube in it the first time and the only thing I have noticed is that it tends to leak a little where the case haves mate. Shifts fine.

After reading everything here though while stolling through the u-pick it yard I found a totaled 88 with a puegot in it. lube looked good and due to it taking a pretty hard hit in the rear I figured the odds were fair that the tranny was ok and probably working at the time of impact. Since it was 1/2 price weekend and someone had already pulled the front end and engine out of it I went ahead and yanked it to keep as a spare. I figured 35 bucks was a cheap insurance policy.

I agree with the transmission probably being fine for stock duty, I think if you are gonna modify or wheel hard it though it wouldn't hold up.

Just my .02 and probably worth the same!!! :)

'87 MJ 4.0 with Pugeot 5-speed, still works fine at 208k miles. I've owned it since 176k miles, used it for towing, commuting, road trips. No complaints here. The truck has had 31" tires for awhile and only recently got regeared to 3.55 from 3.07, so its not as if the tranny had an easy workload either.

My first peugot was in my original '88 MJ, the previous owner maintained the truck meticuously and had put synthetic lube in the trans. That trans shifted well regardless of temperature and at 270,000km worked very well, however I was young and foolish at that time and abused the trans pretty bad (bad enough to break the pinion on the 35), and by the time I sold it it was occasionaly jumping out of third and reverse. I now have three more peugots ('87 XJ, '88 MJ x2) They have between 200 and 275,000km and all work fine aside from being difficult to shift into second for the first few minutes when the temp drops below -15 degrees celsius. I'm gonna be doing a 4wd conversion on my MJ this summer and I have enough faith in the peugot to put one in it. This will be behind a 2.5 however and I think when I eventually swap in the 4.0 the peugot will go bye bye.

Back