• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At A Cross Road

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey....

I would like to know what you would do if you were in my shoes.....

My XJ is a 1994 and has the following mods done to it, RE3.5" safari snorkel, 31" BFG's.

It has the following drivetrian, 4.0L H.O, 5sp man. and Chrysler 8.25 axle.

The Jeep in in decent shape for its year and mileage (200km's) and has the following issues with it.

rear main leak
rockers are *starting* to go, not bad, but they need replacing (no holes yet). and the rear floor area is has some rust holes in it. The paint is nice, but it could use a repaint for that beloved GQ look...lol

As far as I seen, there is no holes in the drivers feet area,(suprise since it went swimming a few times and the carpet is still in it)

I want to get a 99-00 XJ and put a RE4.5" with 33's in a couple of years, my Jeep runs great and I am happy with it, however I do not want to dump in an large amounts of $$ in the thing, I know I should remove the carpets and stuff and do it up, by finances are an issue and I can see my self in a later model XJ in a couple of years, so what is your suggestions? keep the 94 and fix it up? or just drive it for the next couple of years, and move on to the next one?

I am in need of some XJ counciling!!!!

Jeff

If the rear and drivers side floors are starting to rust, than your passengers side is probably rusted clean through. I'd check it if you haven't.

IMHO I would keep setting it up as a trail rig. Leave it street legal until you get a newer one if you have your heart set on one, then go all out on the older one! :D

He's got a point- If I were in your shoes, (and I was able, because I am, but I'm not able) I would get myself another form of transportation ( personnally, it would be a motorcycle) and then build this one up, and do it all right the first time. I would fix the floors, box the rails, replace the rockers with tube, get some 60's, blah............

The only holes that are in it, is in the rear hatch area on the right side, they are small for now, you cannot stick your foot through it yet....well atleast size 12's...lol

its starting to go, but far from a rust bucket, I would like to keep it, but all in all I am not mechanically inclined....so that has to be taken into account...

Jeff

If you're looking to buy another XJ in a couple of years I've got an 2001 that I'm putting miles on right now, but in a couple of years I'll be ready for something newer for long distance traveling. :clap

Robert

This is what my Driveway and garage consist of:

1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager (wife's)
2002 Nissan SE-R Spec V (For sale. Supposed to be my daily driver)
1996 XJ (getting worked on)

If I were in your situation, considering my vehicles. Motorcycle just is not safe to drive around here, all year long. My Spec is for sale. Want to pay off some debts and get a less expensive daily driver.

If I did not have the Spec, only the Jeep, I would start saving my cash and paying of bills. Get a cheap daily driver and send the XJ to trail duty only. Maybe you don't want a cheap ars car? Save up more money and get a loan for a truck or something that you can drive daily and get a trailer to tow that XJ. Do repairs to the XJ as needed to keep it street legal. If it becomes trail rig only, get a cage and do repairs to XJ as needed.

To each their own. Follow your desires.

I know what I would really like to do is keep my current XJ and buy a daily driver, there is this nice Reliant that is forsale for $500, I might just do this keep my Jeep for the mud and water and the Plymouth for wheeling at Wal-Mart....

thats unless I win the lottery....;P

GQ

Back