• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Rear Bumper Thread

MontanaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for a rear bumper and am looking at the Rigidco stuff. The only problem at this point is that my DPG Rock Attack Gas Tank Skidplate will interfere with the mounting system they have. See pics of their sub-assembly here:

740330_45_full.jpg

740330_46_full.jpg

740330_47_full.jpg

740330_48_full.jpg

It seems like a nice setup and all but I hate to have to ditch my skid plate in order to run it. I'm seeing if adjustments can be made to the system by speaking with Terry.

Opinions on what I should do are welcome?

I'm interested in seeing what people are using for a rear bumper and how it mounts. I have heard the C4X4 only mounts using the 8 factory points which doesn't seem the best, plus it doesn't have a receiver hitch. I'm also considering the C-Rok.

Greg

I'm working now with a fabrication shop to develop a bulletproof rear XJ bumper that has a heavy-duty mount, receiver, and reinforced full-wrap (rear quarter panel protection) and a tire carrier. They've finished the mounting system and I don't believe it will impact any aftermarket skids, etc (it easily clears my factory up-country gas skid plate). Hit me back channel and I'll email you early photos of the mounting system, if you like.

Codhead, I am currently in the market for a rear bumper, and am very much in need of seeing pictures of the one that you speak of. Have just begun making making mods to my XJ, and figured slipping off a rock and tapping my stock rear bumper into a tree would give me reason enough to upgrade. Up til' now have only found interest in the Protofab "Researching" XJ Bumper (can't get info about pricing on that, if anyone has heard ANYthing please post it), as well as the C 4x4 one, to match my front bumper.

Another addition to this post, curious as to if there are any other XJ enthuists in the Chicagoland area capable of doing massive amounts of welding and custom mods (currently a poor student, w/o the money to buy my own welder).

-Dan

Terry at RIGID has already addressed that problem. They make their subassembly to adapt to different gas tank skids if you already have them. It's worth it to keep their mounting system, you will not find a more "rigid" mounting system out there.

check out detours new rear bumper freaking sweet and it wraps around the rear quarters as well. Mark's a relaly gerat guy and can fab up just about anything custom you can imagine. detoursusa.com

pat

Pat, thanks for that! Anyone in search of a sweet ass rear bumper for an XJ visit the detourusa.com website. I mean, WOW. Loving it, just need to finish paying off school to get that for my rig.

Pat, would you also please be able to find out if he had a picture of a model of the rear bumper with the tire carrier already on it. I'm thinking that I'll go with the rough edge, smooth back, so the it has the same look as my c 4x4 front one, plus I'm in the process of making my own rear quarter panel plates with diamond tread. Thanks for sending me that link in the first place, GOTTA LOVE NAXJA, I know I do!

-Dan

gmanxj said:
Terry at RIGID has already addressed that problem. They make their subassembly to adapt to different gas tank skids if you already have them. It's worth it to keep their mounting system, you will not find a more "rigid" mounting system out there.
Not according to the email I go from him on Sunday.

I have sent him pics of how the DPG skid plate mounts in hopes that adjustments can be made. The first concern is if the main part of the subassembly can fit around the width of the skid plate. It should because the skid is designed to be used with a reciever hitch.

The other thing is, as I understand it, the bumper section bolts to the original factory locations plus the sub-assembly. With the skid plate in place the sub-assembly is lowered by the thickness of the the skid plate. This throws the mounting out of alignment. I would think that adjustments can be made, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because this is the bumper I really want.

Greg

XJMYJEEP - I can't seem to find the photos, so let me try to describe the bumper: the main mount will go from the rails through the bumper (and welded to) to create 2 one-inch thick recovery points. The orignial bumper attachments will also be used, although significantly reinforced with (I think) 3/8 inch plate. The bumper will be made of 3/8, will include a reinforced receiver, and will be bent to approximate the original look. Also, it will also be a full-wrap to protect the rear quarters (also bent to correspond to the jeeps lines), which will be reinforced to protect the side sections from being crushed against the body in the event of a side strike (which I did not long ago, ugh).

There will be a tire carrier available as well.

As a side note, I looked at all the usual suspects (and all very nice folks), and I could not seem to find a bumper that had the look I wanted, would protect like I wanted, or in some cases could not learn enough about the mounting system to satisify my concerns. I use my jeep as a daily driver, so did not really want an "industrial" look, but also wheel frequently, and wanted something very strong to hold up to the inevitable bangs and bashes. As an fyi, I have a '95 that originally came with the up country package, to which I've installed an ARB bullbar and winch, ORGS (JKS) Supernerfs, OME suspension with a few mods putting it to 3inches, TrXus 31's and misc JKS parts.

I too am in the market, been scoping different ones out, really like C4x4, but they say u can't two stuff w/ the 2" reciever. Anyone make a bumper that you can tow with? I'm not talking 15' trailers, more like an ATV/Snowmobile, or 15' boat(under 1000lbs)??

I Love the C4X4 bumpers that I have on my XJ. I have put them to the test they are strong. Mike at custom 4x4 is easy to work with and he makes a good product. I don't have a receiver hitch, so I don't know weather it conflicts.

We've towed our flatbed trailer around town with our TJ before (running a C4x4 rear bumper w/2" receiver) and it worked fine. Technically it's not rated for towing though, certainly not Class III towing. The only bumper I know of that had a ClassIII rating was AEV's. Looks like you could do some towing with that RigidCo bumper, but not ClassIII towing. For what it sounds like 5Cent is going to be towing, nearly any of the bumpers would probably work.

If you're really going to be towing stuff, and possibly fairly often, I really just prefer a good ol' ClassIII hitch. I've got the factory Drawtite ClassIII and it fits perfectly with my C4x4 bumper. http://jeepin.com/gilmer/03sept20album/images/DSC02776.jpg No worries about recovery, and it'll tow anything my Jeep is capable of pulling.

Jeepin Jason said:
We've towed our flatbed trailer around town with our TJ before (running a C4x4 rear bumper w/2" receiver) and it worked fine. Technically it's not rated for towing though, certainly not Class III towing. The only bumper I know of that had a ClassIII rating was AEV's. Looks like you could do some towing with that RigidCo bumper, but not ClassIII towing. For what it sounds like 5Cent is going to be towing, nearly any of the bumpers would probably work.

If you're really going to be towing stuff, and possibly fairly often, I really just prefer a good ol' ClassIII hitch. I've got the factory Drawtite ClassIII and it fits perfectly with my C4x4 bumper. http://jeepin.com/gilmer/03sept20album/images/DSC02776.jpg No worries about recovery, and it'll tow anything my Jeep is capable of pulling.

Much appreciated Jason, that's what I was thinking b/c they aren't to awful heavy.

Installed a Durango rear bumper last weekend. It is very heavy with wrap-around quarter panel protection. I am mounting a DPG gas skid this weekend; just arrived last night. The bumper and skid will share the 8 bolts for the factory trailer hitch. That will mean a slight bending in the bumper bracketrs - should not be much - 3/16" - and no problem. Yet to be installed. 4 holes will haved to be drilled - 2 on each side of these bumper brackets so that all 4-per side bolts can be utlized. The Durango orignally only uses 2 per side along the gas tank. The Durango also uses all 8 bolts of the orginal bumper brackets.

The Durango bumper is heavy and sticks out more than the Detours. I have a Rigid front bumper and Terry will try and be accomadting. I have Detours' side rock rails and like them, Mark will also be accomadating.

I will let you know after complete installation. My wife keeps asking what all these heavy boxes are??

CODHEAD-
I am in the market for a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. I was doing some searching here on NAXJA and I saw a reply you had made stating that you were working with a shop to develop one, what caught my interest was your location, VA as I'm in NC. How did it turn out? Any pics? Thanks for your time.

-Steve

Been thrown around here before...
but I still would pay what/whomever to build a rear bumper like this guy... along with all the standard ( 2", wrap around quarter, shackle mounts., etc)

http://www.xjworld.4wdriver.com/tirecarrier/tc.html

I hope it works and will add it to the other thread hanging around here in case someone needs an idea. If the link doesn't work its the drop down tire carrier that has made it's way around these boards before. Any manufacture want to try and accommadate the masses? I'd think guys that wheel would love this option....

Yep, 2 year old thread revival time. Been checkin on the detours rear tire carrier and havent heard anything for awhile. Anyone know if/when its going to be in production, or is it by special order only?

Back