• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much play @ the output shaft is normal?

jtszymano

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find out why I have this loud hum at 65mph and now a soft high pitch when I decel from 60 to 55mph.

Ujoints feel solid. I did notice that when I put the jeep in neutral and use the ebrake to keep it from moving. I can wiggle the output shaft ever so slightly. There is no leakage and the pinion yoke has no wiggle but it seems like I can turn it a little bit...

How much of the above is normal??

Later Jeremy

Jeremy,
You about right with "ever so slightly" There will be a little movement in the shaft.

mark
orgs mfg

Im not sure if I read that correctly...are you saying that the mov't is ok and totally normal?? Thanks

Does anyone else have any info regarding the 'play' in the components that I mentioned...? Thanks

jtszymano said:
Im not sure if I read that correctly...are you saying that the mov't is ok and totally normal?? Thanks

yes, some movement exist at the output of the t-case.

mark
orgs mfg

but it seems like I can turn it a little bit...

Slight rotational play in the penion assy is normal (slack in the gear mesh) This is built into the R/P set up to allow for clearance once the gears come up to hwy temp under load.

Just one more btt to see if anyone agrees or disagrees w/ everything that was discussed above...

Thanks!
Jeremy

My Transfer Case will move about a 1/16 of a turn even in gear.
It was just rebuilt with 0 miles. o_0 I hope I didnt put it together wrong

Back