• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Overhead Wiring Console ?

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Finally getting around to installing the overhead console in my 2000 Sport.

After doing a search back 1 year, the headliner cutouts and wire routing was easy enough. It's the wiring that's giving me fits and I am sure it is something I am overlooking. I have an (extra) connector from the wiring harness that is down by the right kick panel and it goes where?

5-pin connector with 3 wires. 1. Dark Blue 2. Lt Blue w/red tracer 3. Black w/red tracer.

Looking in the FSM I see it is for the remote keyless entry system. It plugs into a wire harness that goes to the passenger door module {located Where?} and to the junction block by the horn relay.

Any help?

thanks,
Tom

Got it.

The body harness had one large connector. I compared the wire count and colors and determined that the two connectors from the OH console had the same count/color match. Removed the wires from the large connector (male spades) and installed into what I believed to be the 'extra' wiring connector.

Tested and everything worked great. Total install in four hours including reesarching this question.

Tom

No, I just dropped the front down.

I removed the grab handles above the back seats and the trim back as far as the rear seat and front of the cargo area. On the drivers side did not remove the A pillar trim completly as it is a PIA. Two clips of the A pillar moulding ( 1 each side) did break, but the trim still tightened up to the unibody nicely. Didn't need to cut or splice wires either, removed the kick panel, glove box and a cover of the HVAC recirc door. There is a bolt w/ a 13mm head that holds the bottom of the dash to the A pillar just under/behind the glove box. I loosened, not removed, the bolt that allowed me enough play & flex to feed the wire harness through.

I used the console front screws (visor clips) to position the console at the front, marked with a Sharpie and used an exacto knife w/ fresh blades to make the cuts. Made three cuts, forward most about 5" back from front for the trip computer harness, middle was just enlarging the cutout already there and the back one was just a slit.

It was easier than I tought it would be.

I purchased the console & harness from Tim in MN who frequents this board. he got it at a local pick-n-pull.

The consoles can be found on e-bay for as little as $75 and as much as $200. The hard part is to find one that is reasonable in price in a color that matches your XJ's headliner. Make sure you get the harness also. Every once in a while someone posts one here on the for sale board or someone posts on the wanted board they are looking for one.

My sister believes that it is the same OH console that was in her Dodge Caravan. I don't know but it would probably be more common of an option in a mini-van than in an XJ.

Tom

Here is a little wiring help.
www.paceenterprises.us
Click on the Projects tab.

I finally got the temperature to work. I had ripped a wire when I snaked it through the headliner.
Good luck.

Boatwrench said:
My sister believes that it is the same OH console that was in her Dodge Caravan.

Tom
The Caravan and the ZJ shared the same data bus in their consoles but the 97+ XJ console was specific only to the XJ.

Back