• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is back spacing?

Howey

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a total nubie and have been readin a few post and have noticed this in alot of threads. What is back spacing and how is it used? Thanks for the help.

Backspacing is the distance from the inner edge of your rim to the back of the bolt mounting surface on the wheel. Stock backspacing on most Cherokee rims is 5.25". A common alteration is to move to a wheel with 3.5 to 4.5" backspacing.
B.

The smaller the number the further apart the wheels/tires are from one another (increased track width) giving the Jeep a wider stance.

Backspacing is built into the rims,you would have to purchase different rims in order to change your backspacing(other than something like spacers)!

Howey said:
How does one get back spacing? I'm looking at about a 3" lift?
After a lift, most people buy new wheels for the bigger tires they want to run. You can buy black steel wheels in 15x8 with 4" BS and run 31x10.50 tires. Or you can buy alloys(Mickey Thompson Classic II's are my favs) which have a little more BS. Typically you need more BS with bigger tires to keep the tire from hitting the lower control arm of the front suspension.

Howey said:
what if I'm using stock rims. I know I can put 31X10.5 on them would I need any back spacing?
You may rub the lower control arms when you turn from lock to lock. You can either not turn your wheels all the way, or you can buy some wheel spacers. But for the price of wheel spacers you can just buy some new steel rims. My wheels where $36/ea and SpiderTrax wheel spacers are about $130 a pair, OUCH.

MontanaXJ said:
Well, you can buy your tires and find out if they rub. If they do, you can buy your wheels later on as budget allows.

Yah but then you are going to pay more to have them remounted. I don't ehink it is worth it. Just pay the extra $120 bucks for new wheels and look a lot better. Plus 31's will rub the LCA's on stock wheels so why even waste the time.

It depends on where you buy. At the Tire Rama the $36 price included them taking my 32X11.50's off my Bajas, and mounting and balacing them on the new rims.

Back