• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running Bilstein 5150s?

96country said:
Is anyone running Bilstein 5150s? If you are, what length and valving?

Thanks

S-E-A-R-C-H

Sometimes searches end up with nothing. Plus, if everyone searched and found an answer, how does the forum continue? Finally, who gives a damn if there is a new thread? I hate when people say S-E-A-R-C-H.

Jackhill442 said:
Sometimes searches end up with nothing. Plus, if everyone searched and found an answer, how does the forum continue? Finally, who gives a damn if there is a new thread? I hate when people say S-E-A-R-C-H.

There are a lot of people here that are a wealth of knowledge and answer more questions then they ask, if you make them answer the same questions over and over again, they're going to get burnt out on answering questions all together. I hope at that point, you'll be able to search.
Billy

OK, here is a new one. I am planning on 5150s but what do the valving numbers mean? I can't find any units or descriptions anywhere on the Bilstein page or similar places. Are the lighter ones for VWs and rails while the heavy ones are for jeeps and SUVs and the big trucks just need 2 or more? How do you decide what to run?

dirtclod said:
OK, here is a new one. I am planning on 5150s but what do the valving numbers mean? I can't find any units or descriptions anywhere on the Bilstein page or similar places. Are the lighter ones for VWs and rails while the heavy ones are for jeeps and SUVs and the big trucks just need 2 or more? How do you decide what to run?

If they're for the front of your XJ, get the heavy ones. Mine are plenty soft.
Billy

dirtclod said:

Bilstein valving is described as Newton*meters/second of force to compress or extend the shock body.

This probably means nothing to you unless you compare it to something. From the small number of people running 7100's, everyone seems to really like 275/78 up front. You could go one lighter to 255/75 if you had a stock bumper with no winch, or if you had a 4 cylinder motor.

5150's are rated similarly.

CRASH

Yokely Dokely. That sounds better to me than "well, I run the heavy valving so get that". So the 5150 with 255/70 with an 11.9" travel is the one for me. Thanks Crash.

dirtclod said:
Yokely Dokely. That sounds better to me than "well, I run the heavy valving so get that". So the 5150 with 255/70 with an 11.9" travel is the one for me. Thanks Crash.

Bilstein had told me that the really 'light' numbers were for multiple shock applications...

I suppose someone with a really light buggy could run them, but they just seem too light for even that.

im running the 11.9" stroke w/heavy valving
old pic but you get the idea (im now running the RE XD trackbar w/RE adj. uppers)

437678_171_full.jpg

Jackhill442 said:

Mark my words, someday cyberspace will be all filled up, and who will be to blame? .....All those who neglected to S-E-A-R-C-H!!!!

I have a couple pairs of 10" 5150's (light and heavy valving) to test on my front end. I'll let you know how they work out, if I ever get around to installing them. ;)

dirtclod said:

From the looks of your sig, you have a pretty built rig, with a heavy front axle and heavy tires. You are also fairly tall, which means you'll want all the sway control you can get. I'd go to the heavy valving to keep those parts under control.

CRASH

Crash,
Right now, stock (more or less :) ) 4.0 w/ stock cut bumper. My winch is a reciever, so I only put it on when I want/need a heavy 9500 on my nose. I plan a future front bumper, but as a minimalist, it shouldn't weigh in like a tank. Front weight won't change much in the future. I don't have any kind of swaybar, just adjusted my driving style, so additional sway control may be nice. I just don't want it to drive like a brick.

My ride length is 22", so the 11.9" travel shocks will give me the compression/extension I am looking for.

2.jpg

for more info, see ROTM Dec 2004 ROTM

Back