• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires and lift

flsurfer19

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought an 00' xj classic, it comes with the 16" wheels. I plan on using it for a dd and weekend wheeler. So im goin to go with the re 3.5" super flex, i also want to go with 31's but i cant find 31's for 16's. I was wondering what would be the conversion for 31x10.5, but for 16's. also i was reading on other posts about sye's will i NEED one or will i be ok? all the input would be great thanks

265/75/R16 try that for tire size. As to the SYE all jeeps respon to lifting differently. Try it without and if you get vibes add a transfer case drop to save some money. Get the Superflex kit with the full rear leaf packs if you go that route.

flsurfer19 said:
I just bought an 00' xj classic, it comes with the 16" wheels. I plan on using it for a dd and weekend wheeler. So im goin to go with the re 3.5" super flex, i also want to go with 31's but i cant find 31's for 16's. I was wondering what would be the conversion for 31x10.5, but for 16's. also i was reading on other posts about sye's will i NEED one or will i be ok? all the input would be great thanks
u should be fine with a long yoke travel or a t case drop easy and cheap but work good

87xjeep said:
u should be fine with a long yoke travel or a t case drop easy and cheap but work good
Not necessarily; almost every 96+ I've heard of has had vibes after a lift, and while a t-case drop works for most of the early models, it often doesn't cut it thanks to the redesign of the t-case output. Most of those have ended up having to go with an SYE at some point, it's often a question of how long the owner tries to delude themselves into thinking that they can fix it with one more cheap fix...

jeepguy97 said:
265/75/R16 try that for tire size. As to the SYE all jeeps respon to lifting differently. Try it without and if you get vibes add a transfer case drop to save some money. Get the Superflex kit with the full rear leaf packs if you go that route.

265/75 is a little taller, i had 31x10.5x15 and went up to the 265/75/16, about 1" overall diameter.....for a 31", you would want a 245/75/16, or a 255/70/16

flsurfer19 said:
i also want to go with 31's but i cant find 31's for 16's. I was wondering what would be the conversion for 31x10.5, but for 16's.

Big O Tires has them. You'll have to go into the store and request them (I don't believe their online selector will let you choose them), but I had the same diameter rims on my '01 and ran the A/Ts for almost a year. They're not the last word in traction, but are still pretty damned good; treadwear was excellent in mixed use. The plan had been to go to the 31" M/Ts (also available in 16") after the lift.

Oh, and their warranty on their own-brand tires kicks ass. I blew out two at the same time in a rock spill; both were replaced, no questions asked. The cost for each replacement was $20, IIRC, mainly to cover balancing, fitment, disposal, etc.

Bear in mind that you'll probably want to re-gear at this point, too...

no relation to tire size buy i have an 00 Classic now and just did the RE 3.5 SF and the vibes were HORRIBLE until i did an SYE...a jeep tech here in Milford told me a 1" t-case drop would NOT come close to doing the trick even if i did shimms. Anyways, as eagle said in a different post...when you lift a jeep, especially a 96 or newer, plan on getting an SYE, this way if you do the lift and dont have to get it, ur all set, otherwise if you need it...you know you have the extra $$ saved up. Good luck.

I have an 01 with a 3" BDS lift, and I have a 3/4" t-case drop with no vibes at all, but I'm planning on getting a SYE kit soon, just to realign the shift linkange.

Back