• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's next?

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I know what my next two projects should be, but I'm not sure which should be first.
Right now I'm running short arms in the stock location, on way too much lift for short arms in the stock location. I think it's between 6"-7". Flex is limited and on-road ride sucks.
I'm also running an open 260 jointed disco 30, with the disco shimmed to be connected. The shim has come apart before and the best things I can say about the axle are that it's high pinion and it's geared right.

Resources (money, time, and tools) are limited so unless I get some great deals and lots of help, it's probably one or the other. So what's more important, getting a suspension that works or a better 30?
Thanks. Phil

Next mod should be determined by what breaks/fails first.

You could hunt up a set of RE LCA drop brackets to help the ride

But - that much lift 'usually' means bigger tires, so...

If you are gonna wheel it much more than tenderly, I'd look into swapping out those 260x for 297/760x shafts. If you are keen on the disconnect, get a YJ outer shaft/stubshaft. If not, get a 1 pc XJ-TJ inner and quit fooling with the disco. The LHS will be the same, 97+XJ-TJ. ABS tone rings won't interfere with older non-ABS hubs, but I wouldn't pay more for stub shafts with them.

Even though you are on a budget, I'd still recommend genuine Spicer shafts & 760x joints. A little clearancing of the inner yokes will allow full-circle clips.

Assuming you have an older XJ - by your mention of the vacuum axle. If yours is a 4.0/AW4 auto, you can add a selectable/full manual shift mod for less than $25.

I've had the vacuum come unshimmed too many times, so it's time for that to go away. The rig's a 94, it was just easier to swap in the geared disco axle than to regear the non-disco. I don't do gears yet.

The suspension has already failed me, it's harsh and doesn't flex well. As I've gotten comfortable with it, I've realized that it's picking up a front tire when I make tight left turns.

I've got a couple options in mind right now for specifics, but it looks like instead of fixing one problem and dealing with the other, I need to address both. Right?

Phil said:
I need to address both. Right?

i think thats the way to go.. you can "low buck" only to a certain extent then you really cant anymore... get some drop brackets and a non-disco shaft in that housing and just block off the hole....

Back