• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys suspension components

search button has some great recomendations... but it seems that everyone has an opinion on this board - and il give you mine

spend the amount of $ that relates to how dependible you want the rig to be...

IMO Rusty's parts are fine for mild off-road use. There are a lot of people that have had very good luck with his parts, even running very difficult trails. There are some, however, that have tried using his parts for "hardcore" wheelin' and on highly modified rigs and have had some breakage.

My experience ... I've had his parts and they were fine. I did, however, upgrade some of his stuff to more heavier duty parts as my wheelin' became more challenging. HTH ...

Les

Can you say failed bushing sleeve?

Say it with me now...

Seriously though, there have been many accounts of those sleeves failing and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night wondering if it might fail while I'm on the freeway. The last case I remember was a guy pull his rig of the trailer when it popped.

yeah but if you rember correctly his setup was not as rusty had designed, he thought that he would be cool and run only one upper control arm which completly changes everything, i dont think that that case of failiure would justify not buying rustys gear

by the way i have the 4.5 kit with full packs and everything works beatuifully

whats up with people asking about suspension components and if they'll hold up to mild-moderate offroading? IMO, i wouldn't want to get something thats JUST up to par with moderate mild offroading. get something strong, tested, and worth the money. it doesn't ever hurt to be safer than sorry, and get something of better quality even though you probably won't ever be that harsh on it offroad

:cheers:
brandon

shimmy said:
whats up with people asking about suspension components and if they'll hold up to mild-moderate offroading? IMO, i wouldn't want to get something thats JUST up to par with moderate mild offroading. get something strong, tested, and worth the money. it doesn't ever hurt to be safer than sorry, and get something of better quality even though you probably won't ever be that harsh on it offroad

:cheers:
brandon

That's how i feel. Build it for the worst case and you won't have to worry.

Good thing they don't build bridges for only medium to light winds or earthquakes less than 6 magnatude when that may be the case 90% of the time. That last 10% might end up with someone getting hurt or getting killed. You never hear stories of RE arms failing even when people do the crazy things they do to their jeeps like bolting up 1-tons or running a single upper.

Didn't Rusty's build those parts on the last Space Shuttle mission?

My point is, I'd get something stronger if I were you, such as OEM.

I've had Rusty's 3" lift with no problems,.... and I'm carrying a 31" tire on the rear. R.E and OME might be better but my rig is just fine.

JEEPZZ said:
... My point is, I'd get something stronger if I were you, such as OEM.

Remember holding the stock control arms after you took them off ... very scarey!

BTW all ... the poster said "mild abuse". Believe it or not, not all wheelers are rock crawlers.

Les

IMO, ive used rustys and RE's stuff without fail on either, i do trust RE bushings and joints more than rustys, i never liked the way they mounted.

I hear Rancho makes a good XJ lift.

Really. Stay away from Rusty.
So yeah maybe he doesn't want to abuse his jeep. If I was using mine as a daily driver I still wouldn't put sub standard parts on my jeep. And...Rustys junk doesn't even begin to get up to the sub-standard level.

I abuse my jeep pretty good and never had a problem with rusty's lift (4.5"). I may not "hardcore rockcrawl" but i am by no means a mall crawler. If RE is better...so be it...i have no idea if it really is. Im just givin my $.02 on the stuff i use.

You asked for opinions, and you are going to get them with this post. I had no major complaints with my Rusty's lift. I ran it pretty hard for 2 years. If you want to look at Rusty's arms, I have some adjustable ones that I keep meaning to put up for sale. You don't have to buy them from me, but you could at least check them out to see if the quality is high enough for you.

ok this has been gone over and gone over. your gonna get as many opinions as there are lifts on the market, and remember opinions are like assholes every one has one. I use rusty's and love it no complaints what so ever, this is my second rusty's lift and have loved both of them. He had some problems with his earlier stuff, but has since fixed that, and makes a good quality product. now this is my opinion. That being said this is a decision you need to make, not taking someone elses word for it, after all this is you rig. If you want the rusty's lift buy it, if you want RE buy them. anything else try doing a search. this has been beat to death in the short time I have bee and member.

Back