• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle questions

wwbmopar

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 with an 8.25. The local junk yard has a 98 with the 29 spline version. What do I need off of this axle to install the shafts in mine. also are the D30s in the 98s stronger than the 93s. If so same question.

Thanks

they did'nt change the Dana 30 until like 2001 or something when it was changed to a low pinion axle. A '93 D30 and '98 D30 with be identical. I'm assuming your '93 8.25 has a difference spline count than 29 and thats why your asking, well you will need the shafts, and i believe the carrier and what not. My question though is why are you doing this swap, if its for any strength i'd say the amount you gain is not worth the money and time of doing it. save for a D44 or ford 8.8 rear.

eric

I think it's worth it. You'll be able to save up for a ARB with the 29 spline axles. I'm not ever sure you need the carrier unless they changed the design of it and made it stronger. If not then all you need are the shafts and the side gears.

Don't even bother with the front end.

D30????

Woooh wait a min. correct em if I'm wrong but the 93 (Unless it was anti-lock brakes) had 260 u-joints! And in 95 or 96 the D30 went to a 297 u-joint! So that woudl be a stronger jiont! Now the D30 went to low pinion in 99 or 00 right? Even if it was a low pinion the joints would be stronger than his current one!

Re: D30????

Ghost said:
Woooh wait a min. correct em if I'm wrong but the 93 (Unless it was anti-lock brakes) had 260 u-joints! And in 95 or 96 the D30 went to a 297 u-joint! So that woudl be a stronger jiont! Now the D30 went to low pinion in 99 or 00 right? Even if it was a low pinion the joints would be stronger than his current one!

Hate to get technical on ya, but a Dana 30 is a Dana 30 -- the u-joints on the outer ends of the shafts are not part of the differential. Also, the shafts from the later years with the large u-joints can be swapped into the earlier year front axles.

That was my point. that the axles are the same but the u-joints are stronger the most common breaking point on the front from what I have heard!

This is the skinny, Get the front shafts from the 98' to throw into the 93' axle. Get the 8.25 shafts and carrier from the 98'. You have a killer low cost up grade. Other than quality flaws the 8.25 is a strong axle except for the carrier, like mentioned get the ARB and you'll be sitting pretty.

I wouldn't pay more than $50ea for the Front shafts and $25 for the each rear and $25 for the carrier. HTH

I have a 93' and it had the 8.25"

Back