• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine noise

offroadxj07

NAXJA Forum User
Well... not to sure how to describe it... but its never in idle or just while im driving but when i step on the pedal only sometimes it will make like a different noise then I have ever heard... coming from my engine... I know I am not very specific but I cant really describe it.... any gueses tho?

There's at least 1001 possible causes of engine noise, some normal, some abnormal. Unless you can be specific and describe the noise, tell us where it's coming from, and what brings it on, it'll be a crapshoot trying to guess what the problem (if any) might be.

the best way to describe it would be... a loud ticking from the engine... but only sometimes when i step on the gas... does not happen during normal driving just when i floor it... not sure what else to say i may just have to bring it down... but i dont see it as serious since it is only when i floor it

if its only when you floor it, and under load, like uphill, may be detination.

offroadxj07 said:
the best way to describe it would be... a loud ticking from the engine... but only sometimes when i step on the gas... does not happen during normal driving just when i floor it... not sure what else to say i may just have to bring it down... but i dont see it as serious since it is only when i floor it

If the ticking sounds like it's coming mainly from the driver's side, I'd say there's a high chance you have a crack in the exhaust manifold. You might wanna check that out because the manifolds are prone to crack where the two secondary pipes meet at the collector. Worn/broken engine mounts often contribute to the cracking taking place so you might wanna check those too.

Back