• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My plan for 32s

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok so heres my plan so far, with the goal being to fit 32x10.5s without trimming hopefully. I have a 98 4door with rusty's 3" kit. Im riding on 31s right now, but theyre wearing down so im hoping to get new tires after the snow goes. I have a 1.75" spacer kit ready to go in, along with longer swaybar endlinks and removing the rear swaybar completely. Ive seen people do this and get out the sawzall to pull off 33s, and as far as I know without any othermodification. Im hoping that the added height, coupled with extended bumpstops will make this work, keeping in mind im not looking for mad flex, its more of a backroads mud type jeep that still needs to get me to work an hour and a half away. Anyone see any holes in this plan that ive missed, or anything i should consider or worry about before I start ordering stuff? Or better yet, if anyones done this and had good luck or would have gone a different route in hindsight, thats a huge help, too.
Thanks
Ryan

you wont need bumpstops with a 3" kit plus a 1.75 BB. You may want to consider a SYE and driveshaft to put less stress on the tcase but its not needed. you can use the tcase drop and shims that rustys should have given you. if they didnt you will need one or the other. Im running 33's with 4.5 inshes of lift with minimar rubbing and no fender triming. altough I've removed the rear fender flares (because i had to cut out my rockers due to rust) so that gave me a little clearence. if i were you i would add the BB do some triming and go straight to 33's. chances are you will want to upgrade to them later anyway :)

I forgot to mention that I have the t-case drop also, so I wasn't particularly worried about vibes, hopefully lol. The main problem with trimming is I want it to look good, which Im not sure I could pull off with the 98 bumper style with the fog lights and such, plus I dont want to do anything to the body that would make it more prone to rusting, which im assuming it would. That and with minimal tools, no place to work on it, etc...and ive never done it or seen it done, and its not something I want to mess with and screw up, for obvious reasons.
Also, how does a 4.0 handle 33s? I know I hardly notice the 31s on it now, plus I put on rustys performance kit, and hopefully soon to replace the downpipe and hopefully headers and bore the tb.

The most likely rub will be your front bumper returns,I had no other problems with that lift/tire size!

Well from the lack of negative feedback I guess I better start looking into tires. Just gotta decide if I should go 32 or 33, I might need to start a poll lol. One last problem however would be my spare. I had a donut which i got rid of when I got 31s, so now i have a 31 inch spare. If I went with a 32 or 33, would a 31 inch spare still be useable? I dont want to dump the extra cash for a new spare if i dont have to.

Thats what I was figuring, seeing how much smaller a donut is than stock, I just dont want to risk doing anything to the differentials, etc. Would look interesting cruising down the street, hot rod style lol Big tires out back a smaller profile in the front...
Ok maybe not, but for a spare, gotta do what ya gotta do...

98XJSport said:
Well from the lack of negative feedback I guess I better start looking into tires. Just gotta decide if I should go 32 or 33, I might need to start a poll lol. One last problem however would be my spare. I had a donut which i got rid of when I got 31s, so now i have a 31 inch spare. If I went with a 32 or 33, would a 31 inch spare still be useable? I dont want to dump the extra cash for a new spare if i dont have to.
Dont even consider 33's if you dont want to cut your fenders.Go to my homepage(33's no flares and a fubared quarter panel),go to my bumper page and(32's with stock flares and a nice straight fender)!

I put on Rusty's 4.5" lift and 33" Baja Claws on my 2000 XJ. I got a little bit of rubbing up front at first, but I installed ACOS since i knew i would be addding an ARB bumper and winch soon. Now, it rides great. very minimal rubbing but only on extreme stuff, and I get to keep the stock fender flares which i think look better anyways. 32" would be a good idea I think, still plenty big and more room, I just went for 33" cuz i wanted the claws and they didn't have 32" claws.

I had 31's on a superlift 3.5" lift, i then added an 1" extended rear shackle, as well as a .75 front coil spacer. With this, I am currenlty running 265/75/16. Before,I had 31's, which did not rub at all, currently, i had to do mior trimming, but it is all good now. No ruubbing after trimming.

98XJSport said:
Anyone see any holes in this plan that ive missed, or anything i should consider or worry about before I start ordering stuff? Or better yet, if anyones done this and had good luck or would have gone a different route in hindsight, thats a huge help, too.

- relocate brake lines or use SS brake lines
- think about a 4.10 or 4.56 ratio. When your at it, think about a rear locker.
- Do you already have longer LCA in your Rusty kit?
- YJ e-brake cables
- How are your shocks? Do you need new ones anyway? If so, buy longer ones.
- You´ve a relocated trackbar in your Rusty kit? If not, don´t buy the trackbar mount from Rusty, it´ll break. Go RE.

I got brake line relocating brackeets with the lift, so hopefully theyll still be good for a tiny bit more. My shocks are good for now, when it comes to replacing them over the summer perhaps ill go a bit longer of course.
My kit didnt have anything for relocating the trackbar, however and others Ive read about didnt find it necessary to relocate it while doing this. And the LCAs are untouched as well, again from reading others posts it was never mentioned needing a change...Anyone done this with a rustys 3" kit? What exactly did you need to pull this off?

98XJSport said:
I got brake line relocating brackeets with the lift, so hopefully theyll still be good for a tiny bit more. My shocks are good for now, when it comes to replacing them over the summer perhaps ill go a bit longer of course.
My kit didnt have anything for relocating the trackbar, however and others Ive read about didnt find it necessary to relocate it while doing this. And the LCAs are untouched as well, again from reading others posts it was never mentioned needing a change...Anyone done this with a rustys 3" kit? What exactly did you need to pull this off?

I am going to piggy back your question as I have a Rusty's 3" and am looking to run 32's as well...I dont really wheel hard, just a little offraod trailing and muddin....I was going to buy 31's but found a guy with an old dodge ram charger that has a new set of 32's, he wants to sell the whole rig at $700..I just think I can get the tires at a steal!

Ok I did end up trying this, for those that were wondering what was needed. I needed longer swaybar endlinks, of course. I also removed the rear swaybar. I ended up picking up an adjustable trac bar, the stock is definately to short. I already had a t-case drop, but Im now getting slight vibes from the rear pinion angle, so shims are on thier way. Other than that, 32s will fit, and light trimming would get me 33s. Thanks for the help.

Back