• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting Problems, NSS, Shift interlock

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '89 cherokee. Years ago I had this identical problem and can not rember for the life of me how I fixed it. I can not shift into Park or 1st/2nd gear. I have no problem starting in Nuetral, and if I work it long enough I can get it into 1st/2nd on the trail, but it does not come easy. I am assuming this has to do with my shift interlock system but I have not been able to disable it yet. I have tried disconnecting everything from the break pedal and still can not get it into Park or 1st/2nd gear.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Michael

I had a similar problem with mine, the button on the shifter and the linkage werent on the same page, also not allowing the key to come out. A little oil and long flat tip screwdriver and some jimmying got it right again. every now and then the button and linkage bind up, but it usually pops free.

Cory

So you can't manually put the shifter in park? Sounds like the shift knob popped up. Hit it down once and try it again.

Thanks guys. I did fix it. Not exactly sure how, but I did have the handle off a few times and maybe that was it. Works much better now.

Thanks,
Michael

Back