• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold R/R

JCWjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, just got my new flex jointed Exhaust Manifold and am planning on swapping it in tomorrow, this being one thing I have not done yet on my XJ, I was wondering if there are any problems known that I can expect.

Thanks

JCWjeeper said:
Ok, just got my new flex jointed Exhaust Manifold and am planning on swapping it in tomorrow, this being one thing I have not done yet on my XJ, I was wondering if there are any problems known that I can expect.

Thanks
It's a little time-consuming, but still fairly easy. I recommend spraying with some kind of penetrating oil the bolts that will be removed before beginning the job and use anti-seize when installing back in.

The intake manifold might have a lot of build up in it, so be prepared to clean it thoroughly. Be careful when breaking lose and removing the studs that hold the intake/exhuast manifolds to the engine. If you break one, it can be a PITA to get out.

The Haynes service manual suggested removing each injector and the fuel rail before removing the intake manifold. I just disconnected the electrical connectors and removed the fuel rail/intake manifold as one piece. Be sure to use an OEM exh. man. gasket and NOT a paper type gasket that's supplied with some of the aftermarket manifolds. Don't over-torque any of the bolts. Keep your stuff organized.

There are four spring clips inside the fuel line connector, takes a special tool (cheap) to get the rubber fuel line and the metal fuel line seperated. Amost impossible to compress all four clips and seperate the lines, without the tool.

JCWjeeper said:

Thanks

Just did mine a week ago. It's no that hard. Make sure you clean the surfaces well. I used all hand tools and a air die grinder. It was pretty easy I would say about 4 hours, maybe 5hrs, if you do it all at once.

Some of the back lower bolts on the manifold setup are pretty tough to get to. I was able to do it with an extension and a wobble extension though, others have said crow-foot sockets work well for this area too. Other than that, it's pretty straightfoward. Unbolt PS pump assembly, move out of the way, undo the wiring on the injectors and pull the harness back that hooks all that and the TPS and IAC, unbolt the fuel rail and move it out of the way (I didn't disconnect mine from the fuel lines), take the little sheetmetal cover off and throw in the trash, then remove intake manifold first, then exhaust manifold (after unbolting it from the rest of the exhaust). Installation is reverse, it's kind of a pain to line the exhaust back up and get the manifold back on the head, but you can do it with a second pair of hands.

Have fun, plan on spending the whole day on it with breaks if you haven't done it before.

Back