• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions for making a 6" rear leaf pack?

Goat

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about ways to make a 6" leaf pack for the rear. Here is my idea.

5 leaf 3.5" YJ leaf pack under XJ main leaf & XJ 2nd leaf.

What do you think? I'm open to suggestions on other donor packs or other ways of going about this.

I don't want BOR's springs or RE's so those options are out.

If you want, search "leaf springs" using me as the poster. I've commented in most leaf spring threads and there's some pretty good info out there. Sorry, don't have time to write it out now. Getting the right lift height is trial and error, go with your first intuition and then pull it apart and adjust it if needed.

Goatman,

I read all your posts very good stuff. I'm just looking for someone to double check my logic that's all.

The XJ main leaf is ~49" while the YJ main is ~42.5". I'd have to cut the eyes off the YJ main leaf to get it into my pack. Is this a bad move when dealing with springs?

Also, since the YJ pack is so much shorter, due you think that there will be a lack of support of the XJ main?

Does increasing the number of leafs increase the the ability of the spring to resist wrap?

Goat said:
Goatman,

I read all your posts very good stuff. I'm just looking for someone to double check my logic that's all.

The XJ main leaf is ~49" while the YJ main is ~42.5". I'd have to cut the eyes off the YJ main leaf to get it into my pack. Is this a bad move when dealing with springs?

Also, since the YJ pack is so much shorter, due you think that there will be a lack of support of the XJ main?

Does increasing the number of leafs increase the the ability of the spring to resist wrap?

Yes and no

Yes and no

Yes

Nothing wrong with cutting off the spring eyes, but you want to have spring pads, which means either full length liners (with edges, on the top leaf) or the pain of drilling a hole for the stock pads. I'd also bevel the ends of any leaf that you shorten so the stress point isn't a straight line on the leaf above it.

Not if you cut the other main leaf as long as you can. If you're building on off road lift pack, you want the second leaf nearly as long as the main leaf.

The length spacing should be closer on the front half of the pack for this reason.

I'd combine the YJ leaves with your stock XJ leaves to come out to 7-8 leaves total, as evenly spaced as possible with all the spring pads on the ends. I'd also drill a hole in some pads and put them in the middle, leaving a small gap between every leaf. If you reduce the friction, you can add more leaves to maintain ride and flex with a stronger spring.

check out this thread for before...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40971&highlight=fabworks

and these pics for after...
DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

semi on topic post -
would you reccomend Full military wrap on either end or both ends for the 2nd leaf?

First thing Id recommend would be some proper length U-bolts that arent bent and also get the "open" style spring clamps so the leaves can flex!
DSCF0009.jpg

RCP Phx said:
First thing Id recommend would be some proper length U-bolts that arent bent and also get the "open" style spring clamps so the leaves can flex!

We tried...couldn't find anybody open that carried the right size we needed...
Would you prefer threaded rod? :D

The other reason was this:
DSCF0013.jpg

No sense installing new U-bolts when you can't use them for the full width project.
The rebound clips will be "adjusted" as needed.

BlackOut98 said:
just buy a 3" add-a-leaf, 1.5 inch shackle, and a 1.5 block, and of coarse you will need new u-bolts.

Have AAL now...hate it. I plan on make longer shackles as needed. Don't want to use blocks because my motor likes to eat springs.

Gil BullyKatz,

Nice setup, got any flex shots? Is it still at 8" or did they sag?

Last edited:
Goat said:
I'm thinking about ways to make a 6" leaf pack for the rear. Here is my idea.

I don't want BOR's springs or RE's so those options are out.

Are you dead set on making your own? Otherwise Deaver Springs and National Spring in SoCal are good options too.

-Marisha

wolfheartak said:
Are you dead set on making your own? Otherwise Deaver Springs and National Spring in SoCal are good options too.

-Marisha

I'm not dead set against it but part of the fun in having a wheeler is building it, at least to me anyway.

Goat said:
I'm not dead set against it but part of the fun in having a wheeler is building it, at least to me anyway.

I understand and respect that! And just curious too...

Back to the making of the springs (Hijacked this one a little, not intentionally)

-Marisha

would full length liners be too much between all the leafs? I have no experience with them so I don't know how much they soften a spring.

Back