• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why won't my hub disconnect?

crimsonride

NAXJA Forum User
So prior to putting a new engine in my jeep I've never had a problem with this thing. But ever since I did a 3.4l swap in my cherokee I haven't been able to shift the front hub out of 4wd. The T-case is vacume operated and it workes just fine. I can't find any melted vacume lines or kinked lines and when I remove the lines from the actuator I get no vacume from it.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm wondering if one of the one way valves or something like that is pluged.

crimsonride said:
So prior to putting a new engine in my jeep I've never had a problem with this thing. But ever since I did a 3.4l swap in my cherokee I haven't been able to shift the front hub out of 4wd. The T-case is vacume operated and it workes just fine. I can't find any melted vacume lines or kinked lines and when I remove the lines from the actuator I get no vacume from it.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm wondering if one of the one way valves or something like that is pluged.
First off...Its not a hub...Its an Axle disconnect. There is a difference :laugh3: If you aren't getting any vacuum then its one of three things. 1. You don't have your vacuum line hooked to a source. 2. The switch in the T case is bad. 3. Somewhere you have a broken line.
The disconnect should have vacuum on it all the time. In 4wd it should be pulling through one hose and in 2wd it should be pulling through the other.
Hope this helps.

if you suspect a vacuum leak...

buy a bottle of carb cleaner
with the engine running, spray along the vacuum lines till the engine revs up, that is where your leak is...

I would recommend putting in a manual cable activation to replace the vacuum lines. It is more reliable than the vacuum lines. The kit can be bought for around 200 dollars from 4wheel Drive Hardware or most any other parts magazine. Installation is easy, takes maybe an hour and gives you the option of 2 wheel low.

Find you a 92 or newer passenger side axle and swap it out. Or better yet go to a j-yard and pull both axles out of a 97 or newer xj/tj and get the bigger ujoints and do away with the VD

Patrick

Back