• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint Question?

Cavan806

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any type of black spray paint (Rustoleum s/p) anyone would recomend for painting the rear axel? I have no clue what to use or maybe someone could tell me the best method for painting the rear without removing anything.

Thanks?

Cavan806 said:
Is there any type of black spray paint (Rustoleum s/p) anyone would recomend for painting the rear axel? I have no clue what to use or maybe someone could tell me the best method for painting the rear without removing anything.

Depends on how nice a job you want to do, removing it allows you to really work on it. I use rustoleum on most of the underbody stuff on my 98, have not repainted my axles yet. The best way is to get the target good and clean and well primed then spray several thin coats, I think I put about 8 or 9 thin coats on my skids and they only require a touch up from rock scraping and such and have been on there since the summer of 98. POR-15 might also work well too but you need to paint over it for UV protection. Duracoate or herculiner might work well too, never tried it...
If you paint it stay with the same brand primer and paint whatever you use, they are made to work together....

I use Rustoleum and a sponge to apply it. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Dampen the sponge in mineral spirits or paint thinner, then wring it out. Use a pie pan or the like to hold a little bit of paint. Use rubber gloves and dab at the axle with sponge. Just like painting walls with a roller, go over the area 2-3 times to spread out the paint and to catch the drips.

Getting the metal free of oils and grease is the main thing. Castrol Super Clean is the best cleaner I have ever run across. POR-15 is the best. They have versions with UV protections but it isn't needed on an axle. Hammerite is good also. Both neutralize the rust and are tough. I plan to use POR-15 then cover it with Hammerite.

Clean, clean, clean. Then I've used Krylon or Rustoleum flat black camo paint with good results. I actually did the whole body in khaki and OD after wet sanding w/ 400-600 paper. It's holding up well through its second season that way.

I just did the tow hooks and the trailer hitch on my XJ, with Hammerite. Used the new water based formula for the front and the old formula for the back. Been holding up well so far. The water based (new formula) is kind of a half flat or satin finish, seems to be pretty durable, I painted over my chromed tow hooks (after sanding) and the strap hasn´t rubbed the Hammerite off of there yet.
I did the whole frame on my 76 Dodge PU, with rusty metal primer and Rustolium gloss black, been on there for about 15 years, no problems yet. Though I did a serious job of prep, with a mild sandblasting and a rubdown with aceton.
I used rattle can Rustolium rusty metal primer, then brushed on a light coat of gloss black (a section at a time) then lightly sprayed over the brushed on gloss, with spray gloss, removed most all of the brush marks and left a medium thick, fairly smooth coat of paint on there. Took most of a hot summer to cure right, takes awhile to get really hard.

like Old_Man said getting all the oils off is the key. Oven cleaner works great. Then I just use several coats of rustoleum.

Back