• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ sport for $2-300- SHOULD I BUY IT??

Ten30

NAXJA Forum User
I have found a 88 XJ sport 4banger with 4 speed. dosn't run but I was thinking of getting it for parts. It's got newer 31's and a 4" rough country ( I think) lift. do you think it's worth it or should I let the guy keep it. Interor is RED :confused: so that won't help me. I have a 91 Larado with a 4.0. I was thinking about using his gears/axls because I'm sure they are much lower than mine. any comments???

IIRC I think the 4 poppers came with 4.10 gear if I am not mistaken.

Justin

where is it at? he really only wants 2-300$ for it? wow, i'd buy it for the axles and tires and lift alone, maybe you can even get some skids? body panels? glass? i'd buy it if i was you, ya never know what ya can bang up off-road and need replaced.

Eric

Point 1: There was no Sport model in 1988. The available models were "Base," Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, and I'm not sure if there was a Limited that year. I'm also not sure that the 4-cyl 4-speed was offered as a 4WD, so if you think you want it for the axles ... be sure it has two axles. FWIW, I have an '88 4-cyl 4-speed MJ and the axle ratio behind the 4-speed is 3.54, not the 4.10s you might expect. Remember that the 4-speed doesn't have an overdrive, so they couldn't put as much gear in the axles or the engines would be turning too many RPMs on the highway.

IMHO it's probably worth a couple or three hundred for parts, but that's your call. If you want it for specific equipment, however, confirm that it has that equipment before plunking down the cash.

:bow:

And I stand corrected.

Justin

Re: :bow:

96Classic said:
And I stand corrected.

Justin

:)

Not trying to put you down, mate, just trying to get complete and correct info out there. The early years saw a variety of axle ratios used, especially with the 4-banger but also with the 2.8L. After Chrysler took over, they pretty much standardized on the 4.10 ratio for anything with the 4-cylinder, so for later years you're basically correct.

Eagle said:
Point 1: There was no Sport model in 1988. The available models were "Base," Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, and I'm not sure if there was a Limited that year. I'm also not sure that the 4-cyl 4-speed was offered as a 4WD, so if you think you want it for the axles ... be sure it has two axles. FWIW, I have an '88 4-cyl 4-speed MJ and the axle ratio behind the 4-speed is 3.54, not the 4.10s you might expect. Remember that the 4-speed doesn't have an overdrive, so they couldn't put as much gear in the axles or the engines would be turning too many RPMs on the highway.

IMHO it's probably worth a couple or three hundred for parts, but that's your call. If you want it for specific equipment, however, confirm that it has that equipment before plunking down the cash.

They did have a limited, and most 4cyl I've seen in junk yards have 4.11's.

zeejay said:
They did have a limited, and most 4cyl I've seen in junk yards have 4.11's.

Originally posted by utahxjer
yeah, my 86' 4cyl came with 4:10's but it's a manual tranny though

But the one under consideration was described as having a 4-speed manual tranny, and because of the RPM problem at highway speeds they did not use 4.10 gears behind the 4-speed manual trannies. Yes, many 4-cyl XJs did have 4.10 gears ... and many had 3.73s ... however, I was trying to answer this person's inquiry, not confuse him with irrelevent information.

Re: Re: :bow:

Eagle said:
:)

Not trying to put you down, mate, just trying to get complete and correct info out there. The early years saw a variety of axle ratios used, especially with the 4-banger but also with the 2.8L. After Chrysler took over, they pretty much standardized on the 4.10 ratio for anything with the 4-cylinder, so for later years you're basically correct.

I know. I am still trying to get a handle on these things. A lot of differences.

Eagle said:
Point 1: There was no Sport model in 1988. The available models were "Base," Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, and I'm not sure if there was a Limited that year.

There was a limited in that year.

Mine at least WAS a limited at one time.
I still goot power doors and windows, oh and leather bucket seats.... <homer>Mmmmmm leeaathhhherrrr </homer>(;D)

Back