• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 axle bearings

addicted98

NAXJA Forum User
I have been hearing alot of noise from the rear end lately. I used a mechanic'c stethoscope and found that it was the outer wheel/axle bearings. Do I have to remove the rear brakes to get the axles out to change the bearings? Do you have any tips on making the repair smoother.

Thanks.

1. GO HERE
2. Download 2000 FSM (I know you have 98 but the axle is the same)
3. Start reading at the bottom of page 3-76

Note: this manual calls for a special tool but I have had good luck using a slide hammer to pull the bearings (take care to not get it XXXXed or it will jam up). You can use a big socket drive the new bearing in.

Have fun.

I guess I can't use that word :dunno: I don't know how else to say it (don't get it crooked in the bore).

Last edited:
I recently replaced the differential and seals on my '96.
I removed the drums but left the rest of the brake parts intact.
You will need a 12point wrench (1/4" or 5/16", can't remember which one), to
remove the bolt that secures the planetery gear pin in the diff.
Rotate the diff until the pin is in position to come out, get the pin out and push the axles in to expose the C clips.

That's a 1/4" 12 point wrench needed to remove the bolt in the rear that Falcon mentioned. It was harder to find that wrench than I expected - most I ran across were 6 pt and that won't work.

Dave

Back