• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soft shocks??

alemmons

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I am sitting at 5" lift and my cherokee is a DD. I have to go 40-50 miles a day for work. Currently the cheap Gabriel shocks are fine, but way to stiff. I would really like to find a softer shock so I can drive on the freeway with a little more comfort. What do you guys suggest for a good comfortable shock. Is there one that is nice and comfortable on the road but still able to go offroad?

I just installed 4 of the heckethorne (rough country) nitrogen series I ordered from rockymountainsusp.com for $30.00 each..... they are preatty darn nice... 10 stage velocity sensitive valving, nitrogen charged, etc...

scotty

Which Gabriels do you have on your XJ? I ask cause I put 4 on my truck and yeah there stiff alright, I needed it though cause it helps with the camper on it. Are they just as bad on the jeep? I had exploder 3000`s on mine they rode decent.

This is my line up for soft shocks in the order of softest to stiffest.

OME is a very high quality soft shock.
Bilsteins are stiffer and very high quality.
After that most of the rest of them are made by only 1 or 2 companies and they will be stiffer.

Not sure how a monotube shock compares in stiffness.
Personally I would go with the OME I do not think you can go wrong there.

Michael

Rancho 9000 adj. Set them where you want them. You can even change the valving for towing, windy days, off-roading, and comfort long trip driving. Get a nice set of coils like Tereflex or RE and some RE drop brackets, and it's a damn Cadillac!!

Greddy

xjaddiction said:
Rancho 9000 adj. Set them where you want them. You can even change the valving for towing, windy days, off-roading, and comfort long trip driving. Get a nice set of coils like Tereflex or RE and some RE drop brackets, and it's a damn Cadillac!!

Greddy

there's the magic word: "RE drop brackets". That or long arms. Try either and you'll find the shocks aren't the problem.

RS9000s are great. even with long arms, RE coils, SOFT rear end, you can have it ride stiff as hell or like a caddy. I like to play with the settings every week or so for something different. it can be fun. trust me.

Back