• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

60 MPH vibes

CITYBOY

NAXJA Forum User
First, its a 2000 XJ, 65000 miles. Just did the homebrew budget boost this morning and all went well, got a full 2 inches, front and rear. Now at 60-65, i am getting vibrations, the truck is still steady as a rock, but I do alot of highway driving and need to above 65, how do I corrrect it? a 1" transfer case drop, or shim the axle(how much??). I still have the stock 225's on and wanted to go to 30's next week, but dont want to make it any worse. I do not have any plans on going any higher with a lift than this! Thanks for the help!!

nate said:
Sounds like rear driveshaft angle problems, though with 2" hmm. Get an angle finder and get your angles.

sounds like help to me.......

It may be driveshaft angle. I was talking to some guy with a 97 + cherokee lifted 3 inches at a stop light before i had mine lifted and he was telling me to make sure i shim it. He said that he had to replace a lot of parts in the rear end because he didnt shim his, although i dont know what. probably u-joints but i wouldnt really call that a lot. we didnt get into detail with being at a stop light and all. I dont think you will need a tcase drop but probably some shims would solve the problem. maybe 3 degree. you'll have to ask around. I hope that helped. good luck.

Sounds like rear driveshaft angle problems, though with 2" hmm. Get an angle finder and get your angles.

CITYBOY said:
is there anyone that can help me out there??? Just want to get the vibes smoothed out! Thanks again

nate said:
Sounds like rear driveshaft angle problems, though with 2" hmm.

GET AN ANGLE FINDER AND GET YOUR ANGLES.

and consider that you have a newer XJ which might require a slip-yoke eliminator (SYE if your on the west coast).

I lifted my XJ and had vibes from 60 up. Every one said check the angle on the pinion but forgot to mention that the pinion is in the diff with no way to check the angle. However, I found out the diff was already up from something like 3 degrees. Shimming the axel made it worse. I did a transfer case drop of 1" and the vibes are gone. As a matter of fact it is now smoother that when it was stock. I hate the idea of a t-case drop so my next investment will be towards some sort of drive shaft gismo.
I check the diff angle by putting the angle finder on the 2 center bolt head on either side of the pumkin diff.
Hope this helps.

The pinion is what your driveshaft is attached to.

techno1154 said:
I lifted my XJ and had vibes from 60 up. Every one said check the angle on the pinion but forgot to mention that the pinion is in the diff with no way to check the angle.

I'm sure there's a writeup somewhere that shows how to check angles. It's too hard for me to explain in words without pics.

Did you "christen" the BB in some mud? Could be mud clumped in the wheels. I know its a stupid simple inane suggestion, but I figure start simple before you start replacing parts and breakin stuff down. I've noticed extra vibes in my stock height XJ after playing in the mud. Spray out the wheels and its better...

go faster, it might just vibe a little in the 60-65 range ;)

seriously though, 30" tires will not make it better or worse, the problem is you driveshaft angle. Shim it a little or put in a TC drop.

I just put in a 2" budget boost in my '90 and discovered that I now had a pulsing vibration between 60-70km. It seemed to be from the front right side. There was no detectable play in the wheel but the bearings were shot. Think they were gone for a while but the lift must have changed the resonance. A new hub assembly and all's well.

Back