• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny fluid for 1995 aw4

jeep88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the tranny fluid in my 1995 xj and I need to know what the right fluid is. I talked to the part guys at the advance and autozone near me and the told me that if I run dexron III in it I will need a new tranny very soon. I talked to the dealer and they told me to use dexron III. Who is right and who is wrong?
Thanks.

My '95 FSM says Dexron IIE/Mercon. I just used Dexron II/IIE/III/Mercon compatible stuff from AZ (with mopar spec #s) to fill mine.

THe reason they say dont use mercon at autozone or the parts place is because they are assuming that since its a chrysler car its gonna take atf. But luckly you know the aw4 takes mercon/dexron 2 which is backwards compatible with M/D3.

pete

Well you said that what should I do then to remove the ATF+3 then. I put the tranny a couple of days agoand I changed the fluid a couple of days ago after with the ATF+3 because of what the autozone told. What should I do to remove the ATF crap then. There are only 4 quarts of it in there. I drove it about 10-15 miles.

BTW, the dodge parts counter will probably try to give you ATF for the AW4. They also try to give me ATF for my NV-T350, which doesn't have the right friction modifiers. Why can't I have any normal trannies? :D

Back