• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good tires for offroading

88bluecrunched said:
what brand of tires are people running on there Xjs? And what brand is the best in everyones opinion?
depends on the terrain and the duty (how much pavement how much off pavement and on what type of pavement). Quite a few will praise MTR's for rocks. Myself, I'm partial to BFG AT's.

Whatever you do if you spend the $$ on new tires, get them somewhere where they will give you a no hassle road hazard warranty (free rotation and balance are also nice perks)

As much as everyone else hates them I LOVE my Thornbirds. They are 33x10.50s and clean themselves out GREAT in mud. Also, I have been driving around on them for two years and still have plenty of tread. The only thing I didnt like was how they acted on rocks. And you cant beat a 10 ply sidewall!

I also like MTRs and before I lifed my jeep I ran 30"ers. Great tires!!

I'm running trXuS MT's right now and I love them. They work very well off road, and have very good road manners. Plus they are cheaper than BFG and Goodyear and are quieter. I got them from 4WheelParts with a no questions asked lifetime warrentee for something like $520 for (4) 31/10.5/15.

Well if you want to know what I've got, I run Wild Country Radial XRT's! Some nice 225 75 R15's! For the off-roading, highway, and bad weather driving I do you can't beat the imitation all-terrain design!:D

But really, at only $44 each on sale when I got them, they've worked fine for like 2 years and hopefully will until I step up to some much larger TRXus MTs!

I second Osprey413 on the trxus MT's. I ran BFG's and Mickey thompsons as well on my XJ and I do believe that interco has found the perfect balance for a duel purpose tire in the trxus MT.

I am running BFG's AT and I have had no problem. We do mostly rock crawlling and when it's dry, they work fine. I have been looking for a little
bit more aggressive tire, and am looking a Good Year Wranglers. One of my
friends has some and they don't seem the have very much tire noise on the
hiway. They are a little pricey.
Big O

The Firestone Destination M/T seem to good in mud and have pretty good road manners. I have 33 x 12.50.

Hey! I'm new here (first post) but I gotta say the trxus MT's are a solid performer all around. I run the 33x12.50's and imo they are both aggressive offroad and super quiet on the highway. In arizona its usually a long stretch on a highway to get to a trail so having something with good tread life, low noise, and agressive pattern was most important to me. Think about what your average driving conditions will be and go from there.

I would recommend MTRs for a daily driver. They work great for around here in the wet weather on the pavement. They clog up a little on the muddy trails, but when it dries out, or the mud clears out, they really grip the rocks. I think I am going to the IROKS because the larger voids, the 16.5 size, and my jeep is no longer a daily driver.

those interco trxus tires seem to do pretty good, I know some people that run them.... I personally went with the mastercraft mt's, there made by cooper, and so far they are a great bang for the buck, espcially since they were 37 bucks a piece on sale, they are 30x9.5x15, no complaints as of yet and I've beat em pretty good. we see lots of mud, rocks and sand here mostly, they do pick up small rocks and throw em though, but they are good at self cleaning.....

Back