• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter adapter o rings? only 2?

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled off my oil filter adapter and have purchased the new rings that have to be put in. My question is this, i see the two o-rings on the stud that goes through the adapter but where does the third big one go? Does it goe between the block and the adapter itself or what? Please reply ASAP, thanks a bunch

Mike

yes, the big O ring goes between the block and the adaptor. There should be a groove in the adaptor for the big o riing to set in. I might recommend you coat the o rings with engine oil to help them seat, you know one of those 'best practices" things.

If your old o rings were like mine they had become square in shape over the years. Pick out that old large O ring and install the new one in the same groove. There is a write up on www.madxj.com about oil fiters and it shows the pieces of the adaptor.

when i pulled the adapter off there ws no o-ring in that location and i am pretty sure that it didn't fall out or come off but who knows, now with my new o ring installed it seems like the adapter doesn't want to fit up. It was tight and snug without the o rings because off of the block there is a channel that fits into the groove which is now filled by and o-ring. Am i missing something? Should i just line up the adapter with the o-ring in it and then cinch the whole assembly together using the stud?

Mike

First off clean off both mating surfaces, the old O ring may of stuck to the block. As you tighten the adaptor bolt the fitting will tighten up against the block, the O ring does have give. Install with the o ring, do not leave it off.

I think the old O ring is around, either on the floor, on the block or like the sock eating dryer is just disappared never to be found again.

yeah!!!! I'm done but i don't think that was the only source for my leaks. While i was at it i checked the valve cover bolts and most were not even hand tight!!

Thanks for your help martin

Mike

Yeah, the valve covers leak pretty badly on the 4.0L. I just redid mine a couple of months ago. It only took an afternoon and I do not have leaks anymore, at least from the valve cover … oil plan still leaks like a sieve :laugh3: I think if you fix all of the oil leaks on a Jeep it will quit running.

Back