• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard shifting AW4

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, I'm still in the process of trying to get most of the kinks worked out of my newly acquired '91 XJ w/ the 4.0 and AW4. I seem to get one thing knocked off the list each weekend. Last Sat, I swapped in an instrument cluster that has the gauges, this weekend should be new wiper bushings.....

Anyway, occasionally she shifts very hard under normal acceleration. The final shift into OD almost seems to slip once before fully engaging. Other times, it's nice and smooth like it should be. Stomp on it, and she revs up and gives me crisp, firm shifs. Just like would be expected under hard acceleration.

I've discovered that if I put the trans in "Power" mode instead of "Comfort", each shift is perfect, so I don't think this is a transmission or driveline issue.

I'm thinking TPS......agree/disagree? Is there anything I can do to test it?

Thanks.

before i swapped a 92 trans in mine i liked the way it drove it in power mode so i just left it in power mode

honestly there is very little difference between power and comfort mode, i would suggest just leaving it in power if it likes to shift there better

change your tranny fluid yet?

My 90' does the same thing. When in power mode and starting out in the morning the tranny seams to slip a bit for the first couple of miles then after that it does just fine.

I am going to replace the TPS on Saturday, its on the way out anyhow, I can let you know how it does with the new TPS.

Mine shifts hard when she has to downshift to accelerate. I don't know the cause, but is this the case for you? (It's not every time she downshifts, but seems to be only when downshifting... I haven't paid close enough attention to be sure).

Back