• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eagle and any other CT jeepers; little help....

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search regarding best tires for snow but i didnt find any deffinates...a lot of "it depends on what kind of snow". So since you live in souther ct (i'm also on the coast) what kind of snow would you say we usually get? Right now i have Khumo Road Venture MT's and they have performed just as good as the BFG mt's but i want to figure out if they are going to be good in the snow that we get here in CT before we actually get any this season. What is your input on a good snow tire for the type of storms that we may get? Thanks for any responses.

I don't live in CT, but in PA we probably get the same snow. MTs are a bit squirly in the snow. I would recommend BFG ATs. They wear great and are great in the snow. For ultimate snow handling get snow tires and switch them out in the summer for the Khumos.

Yea thats what a lot of people have been saying....when you say squirly do you mean hard to keep in lane? When i drive in the snow i just want to make sure i can make it up the hills that i have around my area.

I also say the BFG ATs . They work great on snowy roads,better than any mud tire I have ever seen. I know you are looking for responses from your area, but we get a decent amount of snow around here.

Any responses are great, i actually said CT b/c when i searched, people who asked for example from new england got responses from people in the rockies that said it depends on the type of snow...but overall experience w/ a tire in snow is fine. Thanks again.

For an all-purpose tire that's good in CT snow -- Cooper Discoverer LT. Or a true snow tire, but true snow tires aren't as good on dry pavement and they don't last very long when driven on pavement.

If you're anywhere near New Haven, go to Star Tire on Route 1 in West Haven (near Ella Grasso Boulevardand the New Haven city line), and ask for Andy or Norman.

Yea my friends neighbor Tom works there....lol the mechanics there stripped a bolt on my g/'fs mom's brand new subaru and denied it...she wasnt a happy camper.....i guess in a nut shell though i'm looking for a tire that i can keep year round-do some off roading w/ and not get stuck going up the hills here in shelton. Thanks all.

I'm not from CT (MI) but if you want to run an aggressive MT, get them sipped. I just had my MTR's sipped. Didn't last year and the differece is nothing short of incredible.

mtrxj said:
I'm not from CT (MI) but if you want to run an aggressive MT, get them sipped. I just had my MTR's sipped. Didn't last year and the differece is nothing short of incredible.

Does sipping the tire have any negative effects? Tread life-road noise-handling etc? Who can do this and what is the pricing like?

Im running 31x10.5" BFG A/T's, used them in one snowfall, packed on the road and then turned to slush. All I can say is, excellent. These tires handled great and I didn't have any sliding problems. I ran Discoverer LT's before, but I can't really comment on them because I ran them when there was little tread left.

JeepXJ93 said:
Yea thats what a lot of people have been saying....when you say squirly do you mean hard to keep in lane? When i drive in the snow i just want to make sure i can make it up the hills that i have around my area.

Not necessarly just keeping them in the lane, but keeping the rear end where you want it period. I run Firestone Destinations right now but I had BFG ATs before them, and when going up a hill in the snow if I give it any gas the back tires break loose and it kicks sideways. After you get used to driving with M/Ts in the snow its ok, but still nowhere near the grip of the BFGs.

I've been running Nokian Vattevas for the past year, and I love 'em. The are really good for the snow that I get in Canterbury, and for the commute to Storrs. I know that it's not the same exact snow that you get on the coast, but it should be pretty close to it.

~Jeremy

JeepXJ93 said:
Yea my friends neighbor Tom works there....lol the mechanics there stripped a bolt on my g/'fs mom's brand new subaru and denied it...she wasnt a happy camper.....i guess in a nut shell though i'm looking for a tire that i can keep year round-do some off roading w/ and not get stuck going up the hills here in shelton. Thanks all.
There's a Cooper dealer directly across from the Wal-Mart on Bridgeport Ave in Shelton. His prices run MUCH higher than Star Tire for the same products, but his volume is also a lot less. I've talked to the guy and he seems like a straight shooter, but I wasn't in a position to pay the additional $$$ for the same tires.

Back