• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is needed for a transmission swap???

judah304

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 4.0 ax15 XJ. I am wondering what is needed to convert this truck to a aw4 auto trans. Any help would be appreciated. Its my wifes beloved amethyst 5spd. I am trying to sell it and cannot becuase nobody (ie nowomen becuase its purple)wants a five speed. She has gone to the dark side and bought a ZJ. PLease help, Basically I am wondering parts wise and is the harness in the truck now set up for an auto also.

As far as I know the only things you should have to swap are the transmission itself, front drive shaft, rear drive shaft and the center section of the console with the shift lever and appropriate brackets. Unless you are going to take an absolute beating, I don’t think that it is worth it to swap in an auto just to sell it. All of those parts are going to be a pretty penny, even from a junkyard not to mention the time and effort involved. You would be better off repainting it to a different color.

Having done this on my '89 XJ I can not see this as being worth your time if you are going to sell it anyway. Better off just to take the hit.

I had to buy a whole donor vehicle to do mine to get all the parts needed. Driveshafts are different lenghts, need the shift tower and cables(one to the tranny for shifting, one to the steering coloumn to lock the shifter when key is not in ign), flexplate, rad(unless your rad has a cooler built into it or you run just strictly a seperate cooler), cooler lines, t-case shift linkage, t-case(yours may not bolt up to an auto unless you swap input shafts), tranny computer, pedal cluster, etc.

In my case all the needed wiring was there so it was plug and play. Not sure about the non-renix systems though.

Back