• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing trans. from engine.

creed4017

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of swapping out 4.0 motors. I have everything done except removing the transmission from the motor. Does anyone have any special percautions or tips to getting this done. thanks....btw i have an auto tranny.

Be careful with the CPS.

Unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate before seperation and leave it in the tranny until you can bolt it back up. There is no reason to remove it from the tranny..

You probably already know that it takes a reverse torx socket.

If it's still in the vehicle make sure you get the socket on straight so you don't round off the bolts. I find that it is easiest to put on a bunch of extensions so I can get the ratchet on past the transmission. This helps in keeping the socket straight on the bolt. It is also nice to have an extra pair of hands to hold the socket on while you're on the other end trying to break it free.

When you are putting it back together pick up some grade 8 bolts to replace the stupid torx bolts.

William Crawley

The easiest way to get those bolts out is with a 4ft extention and universal joint E12(inverted torx). go from behind the trans crossmember and you can see the heads of the bolts. To reinstall them, use a little tape to keep the bolt on the sockey and to keep the universal from flexing as much.

where are these bolts located i cant seem to see any that can be reaced from behind? How many bolts total are there to get the transmission off.

nevermind last post....i found the bolts, now the only question is what size are the bolts i cant seem to get any sockets to fit even my e12? anyone have any tips?

creed4017 said:
nevermind last post....i found the bolts, now the only question is what size are the bolts i cant seem to get any sockets to fit even my e12? anyone have any tips?
Off the top of my head, I think I used a 10mm 12 point wrench. I could be wrong though, I've slept since then.

i have been working on the two top bolts for hours and i have given up for now....what combo of extentions and swivesls did u use...where did u get it from...etc...any body that can help?

how did u get a ratchet in there....ive even dropped my motor as far down as possible to ge more room. i cant get anything on there and im an starting to wear down the bolt head.

No, I used a wrench. Like I said it's a small one. Takes dexterity and hand endurance (which I have for some strange reason).

well....i guess my bolts have been rounded just enough to make it where i cant get the socket back on...i guess my only option at this point is to just pull the transmission with the motor and deal with it then...btw i need this running by tomorrow night.

Okie Terry said:
No, I used a wrench. Like I said it's a small one. Takes dexterity and hand endurance (which I have for some strange reason).
So u used a wrench and not a socket? what type of wrench?

I can't remember. Mine's a '92. Maybe I didn't have any special bolts. I do remember that it is something small like 10mm and all my wrenches are 12 point.

my bolts are too rounded off to use and wrench at this point. I dont know anything else to do but pull the tranny with it. any other suggestions?

Back