• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 fitment ?'s

sukemecuke

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 242 in my 2000xj AW4 with 8.25 rear d30 front. I am wondering if a 242 from a 96 will bolt directly in place of my stock 242? Right now I have a H&T SYE I am wondering will the H&T for my 2000 242 work on the 96? Or will my stock DS work for the 96 242?

The '96 TC will fit and the H&T will work after you get a seal flange for it. The '00 alredy has the seal from the factory. Not sure if the '00 seal flange will fit on the '96. but it's worth a try.

will the stock driveshaft fit from my 2000? Oh but you are gonna run into the sealed flange problem right. Other than that would the DS work? The 96 242 is less prone to vibes right?

Isn't the 96 the same output as the 00?

Why the change?

If you are going for the old style out put then the 00 h&t won't work.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Isn't the 96 the same output as the 00?

Why the change?

If you are going for the old style out put then the 00 h&t won't work.

hinkley
Did the change happen in '96? I'm not sure.

If it did, then the stock shaft will work. If not then he'll need a seal flange for his H&T to work on an old style TC.

Okie Terry said:
Did the change happen in '96? I'm not sure.

If it did, then the stock shaft will work. If not then he'll need a seal flange for his H&T to work on an old style TC.

It sounds like he is trying to get rid of the newer stlye output.

Not sure???? If not why the change? Is the 00 broken? Something about vibs were talked about.

But today I suck at reading! :D

hinkley

I think the change was in 1997 - with the sheet metal change.

Not 100% on that though...

My output shaft is kinda messed up. Not really going for a 96, but those seem to be the only t-cases available at this time. Unfortunately I can't wait until one comes available from a newer XJ. Mine is a DD and I need it functioning the best it can be before ski season. By then I will be in the mountains probably every weekend and I know that those vibes will get to my case after a while. I can't afford to have it seize up 2hrs from home. As I am sure you all can relate. Right now I my driveshaft from my pre-H&T days, but I also have the stock driveshaft still. Bot and I glad I saved that thing. One of the things I was curious about the 96 242 is does it have a sealed output? If not can I buy an aftermarket sealed output or will have I have to buy the whole H&T kit again?

You can buy an output seal flange from the manufacturer of you H&T and use the rest of your H&T. The only difference in the kits for the newer TC and the kits for the older TC are the older TC kit has the output seal flange. If you keep asking the same question in different ways, I'll keep giving the same answer in different ways.

Yeah I understand just didn't know if I could just buy the seal and not the whole kit. If I could I would take out my t-case and see if the seal from that would work. But I want to keep it all in one piece. I plan on just replacing the output shaft and either selling it or keeping it for a spare.

If it is your output shaft why don't you just get a new one?

Get a SYE from Currie or TW which comes with a shaft already done, much better than H&T. They both make sure the shaft is straight before hand so you should be good to go. Why mess with another H&T.

hinkley

Well I personally wouldn't mess with another H&T since this one got messed up. For me it is easier to swap cases, and in this case just as cheap if not cheaper. To replace the shaft I have to take the case all apart which I know for sure I am not capable of. If I was to do the H&T I would do it before I installed it in on my jeep. I am trying to find someone at school that has access to the machine shop at school. I go to a huge engineering school and they have all kinds of neat toys. If I can't find someone to let me in then I will have a machine shop hack and tap the shaft for me. I know of some people back home that are pretty trustworthy that will do it for fairly cheap. Keep your thoughts and ideas coming though. As many opinions as possible will help me make a well informed decision.

Yeah I found one of those on e-bay, but other than that I can't find any 242's at all. Unfortunately the 96 seems to be the ones out there. Are there any GC boards that you know of maybe I could scope some of them out?

sukemecuke said:
Yeah I found one of those on e-bay, but other than that I can't find any 242's at all. Unfortunately the 96 seems to be the ones out there. Are there any GC boards that you know of maybe I could scope some of them out?
www.nagca.com

Back