• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie HD Sterring System

JarheadJon

NAXJA Forum User
I am curious to know if the Currie HD tie rod and drag link can be put on a stock XJ. It is my intent to later lift and install over the knuckle system. DFor that matter canover the knucklebe built ona stock XJ if the right wheel/backspaacecombination were set. Thanks

why would you install a over the knucke system after dropping 400 in the HD steering... it includes a tie rod and is setup to maintain the (junk) inverted y steering. if you want a OTK system, just wait.

I'm not sure if it will adjust down to the stock length or not. Might ask Currie on this one.

Why the change? Bad stock stuff and need replacement for now? Or just and upgrade?

If the stock stuff is worn might be a good choice but if just an upgrade for a while I would save for the lift first.

hinkley

jmc0369 said:
I am curious to know if the Currie HD tie rod and drag link can be put on a stock XJ. It is my intent to later lift and install over the knuckle system. DFor that matter canover the knucklebe built ona stock XJ if the right wheel/backspaacecombination were set. Thanks

I've never run the Currie steering, but plenty of friends have. Like Mark said, I don't know if it will go on a stock XJ, but it could. It was actually built for TJ's, which have a lower relationship from the pitman arm to the knuckle than an XJ does, so a non-lifted XJ is similar to a slightly lifted TJ.

The Currie steering seems to work fine up to about 5-6" of lift, but it lacks the overall clearance of an OTK setup. I doubt that I'd be willing to spend the money for it if I was going to go over 6" and wanted an OTK setup anyway. You're right about rim clearance for the OTK steering, I don't think it will work with the stock backspaced rims, but if you're willing to change rims now, I see no reason that you can't go OTK now and only do it once. You'll need mounts for your sway bar links and track bar axle mount, which JKS sells (and Mark Hinkley designed and sold to them :)), and you should carefully check clearance of the raised mounts with the frame on full stuff with no lift.

Sounds like you're willing to spend a few bucks.......go ahead and at least slap on a budget boost to give yourself a little more room to work with. I do like to see people thinking out their plans ahead of time, it's always easier and cheaper to do it once. :)

Goatman said:
The Currie steering seems to work fine up to about 5-6" of lift, but it lacks the overall clearance of an OTK setup.

The Currie steering is *very* strong, as stated.
I have only broken 2 of the TREs on mine, which can only be bought from Currie, and only cost $50 and shipping. :rolleyes:
The big problem using Currie steering on an XJ with a HP30 front end is the clearance between the tie rod/drag link junction and the track bar/steering stabilizer mount point.
I was continuously breaking off zerks and rounding my ss bolt as my steering cycled offroad.
I remedied the situation with a 100 ton press to increase the angle on the drag link.
Currie is aware of this problem, and will bend it for you if you call them, pay for the shipping, and wait 2 weeks without steering.
If I had to do it again, I would go with the Down East OTK setup.
HTH.

Last edited:
Back