• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 no-slip install

You dont have to pull the carrier,but I do think I might have needed to grind the gears,might have been the original 3.55's or the 4.10's!

If you are talking about the PowerTrax No Slip Locker...It is a very easy install for the 8 1/4. Just follow the instructions that come with it and then reinstall the cover using Ultra Copper Hi Temp Silcone gasket maker. I have installed about 10 of the Powertrax No Slip and they work a heck of a lot better than the Lock Right. They cost a little more but well worth it. Later...Clint

One thing - you'll have to grind the c-clips down a bit so that they'll fit into the couplers. So have a grinder handy. But you won't have to grind the gears.

Oh, second thing :D - the instructions don't tell you how to remove the side and spider gears. You can re-insert one of the shafts and turn it by hand. That will break the gears loose. They don't just fall out on their own.

Last edited:
couple things. re-insert a shaft? just reach in with your hand and push one clear. the spider gears should pop right out.
grind c-clips, haven't had to do that either.

what I do suggest is to assemble it on the bench first. then mark the outside diameter with a few identification marks to keep things aligned for a quick install. I have installed dozens and if you don't get it right, it still might look ok and even have the go-nogo gauge work right.

Well, we know you're da man Ryan, but...

There was NO way the c-clips would fit into the slots in the couplers. I know that others have also had this problem. In fact, I did my install at Remi's house, and he had told me before we started that we would have to grind the clips. And sure enough... He had to do the same thing when he put a No-slip in his old XJ.

And the spider and side gears would not pop out. So Remi checked some old threads on his computer. And what we actually did was to turn the yoke by hand. But when I did the No-slip in the D30, I turned one of the shafts by hand.

Granted, these steps might not always be needed. But it sures helps to know these things beforehand.

Last edited:
Rawbrown said:
couple things. re-insert a shaft? just reach in with your hand and push one clear. the spider gears should pop right out.
grind c-clips, haven't had to do that either.
Ryan.... I did mine and the c-clips needed to be shaved, as well as Johnny's did (we installed it at my place right before moab). This might be though related to the noslip being the limited slip version (for axles with stock limted slip).
Also you said that the spiders will pop out? Good luck! Maybe again it's a limited slip axle issue, but without turning the shaft to break them loose they didn't want to budge. Having the axle raised and turning one shaft made them just fall out on their own.

what I do suggest is to assemble it on the bench first. then mark the outside diameter with a few identification marks to keep things aligned for a quick install. I have installed dozens and if you don't get it right, it still might look ok and even have the go-nogo gauge work right.
Very good point. When I did mine I screwed up the alignment (after putting the cclip in one step too early) and I spent about 45 minutes trying to line them up. When we were installing Johnny's I took a sharpie and marked "alignment" lines on the pieces to make the install easier and that came in very handy later.

xjohnnyc said:
Well, we know you're da man Ryan, but...

There was NO way the c-clips would fit into the slots in the couplers. I know that others have also had this problem. In fact, I did my install at Remi's house, and he had told me before we started that we would have to grind the clips. And sure enough... He had to do the same thing when he put a No-slip in his old XJ.

And the spider and side gears would not pop out. So Remi checked some old threads on his computer. And what we actually did was to turn the yoke by hand. But when I did the No-slip in the D30, I turned one of the shafts by hand.

Granted, these steps might not always be needed. But it sures helps to know these things beforehand.
Quick fingers Johnny :) how did you sneak that one in while I was typing the other post up?

yup sorry. I very rarely mess with the LS carriers other than taking them out completly. just never had to put an NS into a TL case, thats all. I have done pleanty of NS's into open diffs...

Back