• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima batteries price

My Yellow Top Optima was dead because I sat my wheeler jeep for months. I just hooked it up to a battery charger and all is well now. Try charging it before you get a new battery. I heard from someone that you cannot recharge an Optima, but I just did. Try that 1st. I'm getting a Red Top for my 98'zj dd after my regular battery from Wal Mart finally gave up after 4 yrs, I charged it and still nothing.
Troy

batteriesareus.com suck

Avoid batteriesareus.com if at all possible. Details of my experiences with them can be found in this thread; they have the worst customer service I've ever encountered and their prices do not compensate for it.

I've looked around a bit online and this place has free shipping and I think I will get their Blue top SC34DM deep cycle for $149 shipped. It is the 34/78 size that works well for jeep XJ/ZJ's etc. I have a yellow top in my wheeler XJ and am going to put the blue top in my dd zj that needs it, and then swap my yellow top into my XJ when I get it back in a month from the build up. I swapped on the wing nut mounts on my yellow top and it works really well for multiple items. I have 5 sets of light, a winch, used to have an arb, and U can stick all of the loop ends on the post and wing nut it down, real nice. I'm leaning towards the blue top because I want to put it in my Xj, because I think that is has the best vibration protection of any of the optimas, plus being a deep cycle which is good for all the draws on power my xj has. Then I will swap my yellow top into my ZJ, I want this over just a red top because I play my stereo duing lunch without my jeep running and just want a battery that can be recharged many times etc, plus it's only like $15 or so more diff between the red and yellow top. Sorry for the long post, here's the link to the site with free shipping:

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/optima/start?tid=overture-optima

Troy

i have to yellow tops and they came with a 8 year warnty but im not sure if i baught that extra or if they came with em. try contacting optima and see what they say. also depends on how long u had it i guess

my 2cents

Big Red said:
Try charging it before you get a new battery. I heard from someone that you cannot recharge an Optima, but I just did.

From the AJ-USA site:

Alternator: 13.8 to 15.0 volts
Battery Charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum; 8-10 hours approximate

Boost Recharge: Maximum voltage: 15.6 volts (regulated).
Maximum current: 60 amps.
Maximum recharge time: 2 hours.
All limits must be strictly adhered to
Float Charge: 13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current;
time indefinite (at lower voltage levels).

Thanks for the responses. I have a Sam's Club membership and my wife has a CostCo card with her family, so I'll have to check it out locally, but the AJ price of $149 shipped + tax from San Diego for the blue top sounds like a good price. That's what a lot of them are going for on ebay, but then U pay like $30 for shipping so it comes out to be $170-180 for the yellow or blue top.
Troy

Big Red said:
That's what a lot of them are going for on ebay, but then U pay like $30 for shipping so it comes out to be $170-180 for the yellow or blue top.

This is about comparable to what you'd pay in Pep Boys or Autozone. When I got mine, I figured it wasn't worth waiting a week to save $10, particularly given that my old battery was on its last legs.

AJUSA is right next to the 405 as you head south into San Diego. If you're down in this neck of the woods anytime, it'd be pretty easy to swing by and pick one up from them; they do retail sales as well.

Update: I just got through warranty-exchanging my old yellowtop (died due to the Jeep going swimming, not because of battery defects) at Pep Boys. Price on the receipt was $159.99; after 8.25% sales tax it was $173.19. Just FYI, since shipping on one of those puppies will probably run at least $30.

Back