• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission pan/filter torque specs

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked on the net and searched the forum but can only find 1 of the specs concerning the transmission fluid pan(torque pan bolts to 10lb). What are the proper torque settings for the filter bolts and the drain plug? Thanks!

it doesn't really matter
just make sure that they are tight
also make sure that the pan bolts go in straight other wise they will cross-thread and strip, then you will have to re-tapp the hole

dishman5000 said:
it doesn't really matter
just make sure that they are tight
also make sure that the pan bolts go in straight other wise they will cross-thread and strip, then you will have to re-tapp the hole

Thanks for the reply :) Unfortunately, I have a habit of breaking bolts because I get paranoid that they're going to fall out or loosen up. That's why I was looking for the actual specs since I like to use a torque wrench for jobs where I may "break" a bolt or two. If no one else responds I guess "tight" will have to do :)

Timber said:
Actually, if it's an AW4, the pan bolts are supposed to be torqued to 65 in. lbs. (5.4 ft. lbs.) The filter bolts (manual calls it an "oil screen") should be 7 ft. lbs. and the drain plug is 15 ft. lbs. This is according to an AW4 manual found here:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/aw4/AW4_MANUAL.pdf

Yes, it's the AW4. Thanks a LOT for that info! I didn't check out the pdf file (I'm on dial up right now, my broadband ISP is down), but I'll download later on. Thanks again!

I should have noted in my earlier post that I don't know what year that manual was published, and I don't know if any of the specs changed over the years.

stock aw4 pan bolts are very soft in my experience. take care not to overtighten! Use the gasket that came with the filter and do not use silicone based sealant.

I rechecked that manual and it mentions Dexron II, so it must be sort of old. Anyway, it says to use Three-Bond TB 1281 or equivalent sealer for the pan.

i wouldn't worry about the bolts to much thev are all steel worry mor about the threaded holes in the case that the bolts are going into
the case is alumium and over tightening steel bolt in aluminum threads may strip the treads

90Pioneer said:
Just drain the pan about 5 times instead of dropping the pan. You'll thank me later.

Yeah, I bought the kit(filter & gasket), but ended up just draining it instead of dropping the pan. It's a 99 and there's a bulge in the exhaust pipe(emissions?), and it was blocking *1* bolt that I had a hell of a time getting to. Long story short, I ran out of time and decided to just tighten up the bolts on the 1 side that I had loosened.

I'm planning to actually drop the pan once I get a solid 4-5 hours that I can dedicate to dealing with it.

A side note: I reinstalled the plug without realizing that there was a washer on it! It must have been stuck to the pan and then fell into the fluid while it was draining. I was running a magnet through the pan that the old fluid was in and found the washer (oops)....afterwards, I took the plug out, and reinstalled the washer(not much drained out, I just held my finger on the hole til I put the the washer on the plug, and the plug back in). Thanks for the replies!

Back