• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny / Tcase Wiring Qs

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
While i was looking at the harness out of a 93xj aw4 4wd trany i noticed it had a connector that had nothing connected to it. The connector was behind the side tcase bracket and it was firmly tucked behind it.

Anyone know what its for ?

DSCF0196.JPG

I am sure it isnt for the tcase as here is the tcase harness which covers all the connections for it...unless i am missing something:
DSCF0199.JPG

Anyway take a look,,i appreciate it.

THX
pete

Cant someone go look at their rig outside and tell me if they have this disconnected wire. Cmon folks you now how it is when something bothers you and you cant find out what it is ???? Help me out.please

pete

If it has a flat three-prong connector, I think it's the wire that goes to the speed sensor on the transfer case. I just crawled under a 93, though not too deep because it's wet outside and I'm not dressed for rolling in the mud, but the wire I saw that passed behind that side bracket led to the speed sensor. I can't tell from your picture whether the harness you show has a similar plug on it, but if it doesn't have a flat 3-prong plug on it, then the speed sensor must be on another harness.

It occurs to me after posting that since you said this tranny is from a 93, but not, presumably in a 93 of your own, you may not have been aware that the 91-up XJ's use an electronic speedo, and there is a speed sensor where the speedometer drive used to be. That's what I'm talking about here.

Last edited:
Well matt i really appreicate your help but unfortuantely the speed sensor on the tcase is covered by the other harness in the 2nd pic. The harness on the 2nd pic i think pretty much takes care of everything on the tcase (speed sensor and indicator ). I am still unsure of what that connector is for, i have even looked at all the pics in the factory service amn and they all have pics without it.

Its strange because the tranny it self only has three things mounted on it and that being the nuetral safety swich and its individual harness , a long sensor of some sort (in 1st pic) and a plug with a few wires that leads the wires innto the tranny (also in first pic next to unkown connector)- all which match others of this kind, everything but that unkown connector.

Anyway i am still looking for answers and or comments. THX ..pete

Well, the other possibility is that if you have the harness from a different year, perhaps part of it is duplicated in a slightly different way on the tranny you have. Now that it's light outside, I would go out and look at my stepson's 93, but he's away for a couple of days, and my XJ is a 5-speed. I'll look under that one later anyway and see if there's anything to see.

it is possible that it could be another connector for a speed sensor, maybe for a two drive trans
most manuf. alot of times will make one harness that fits all applications to eliminate multipl part #'s and save $$$ (kind of like one size fits all) so there may be an extra plug or two that is not used on your paticular model and drive line

Check this link http://www.natecovington.com/jeep/service_manuals.htm

The owner of the site got in trouble for offering FSM's for free download, but he gives his contact info at the bottom of the page. He lists a partial 1993 FSM. The other thing to consider is when (during the year) yours was actually built. The later in the year, the greater the possibility that it has a newer '94 harness in it.

Well i was able to dl the fsm on the site and out of the few he has there only the 2000 has an appropraite picure.

Here it is, take a look its without that darn connector. :wierd: :
tranconn.JPG

pete

I appreciate your generous offer to help me.

The connector is female and has two prongs. The colors of the wires to the connector are yellow with a blk tracer stripe and the other wire being a blk wire with a red tracer stripe.

Interestingly i followed the wire to the onther end of the harness the one that connects to the engine bay area and it follows through as the same colors. That being said it probably goes thru the system with those colors but i cant be sure other than the connector side.

pete

jeepsrock said:
I appreciate your generous offer to help me.

The connector is female and has two prongs. The colors of the wires to the connector are yellow with a blk tracer stripe and the other wire being a blk wire with a red tracer stripe.

Interestingly i followed the wire to the onther end of the harness the one that connects to the engine bay area and it follows through as the same colors. That being said it probably goes thru the system with those colors but i cant be sure other than the connector side.

pete

The closest I can come is C357, which is the line for the 4WD indicator, with black/red and gray/yellow conductors, according to the 95 FSM. I'm guessing you have two different harness versions for this part. In the 95, at least, the chassis harness goes to a connector at the side of the transmission, and then there is a short section that plugs into that and goes to the switch, so maybe what appears to be a redundant wire is really just that extension. On 5-speeds, there's also a two-prong connector for the backup light switch, but that is on the other side, and color coded differently. I don't think this is one of those instances where both versions are covered by one harness, but I suppose it's remotely possible.

My YJ has a random, unplugged connector floating around beside the transmission. It has a five-speed, so I figured the wire was something for the automatic transmission (i.e. torque converter lockup). The only connector on the manual tranny is for the backup light switch, as Matt mentioned.

Well i over the last few days i have looked at the donor jeep this stuff came out of (93xj) and i have found nothing to further my kowledge of that darn connector. I have thou got the pin/color outs of tthe 4wd indicator on the tcase harness. The 4wd indicator from the tcase harness is 2 pins one blk/rd the other gray. I would appreiate if someone could verify if that is even correct, by possibly looking at their colors ? THe unklown connector is ylw/blk and blk/red. Any input at this moment would be helpful ? does anyoe think this is something to do with a a 242 tcase ?

Also look into this thread somewhere lower on they mention 242 jumper cable- what youu think ?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29231&page=1&pp=15&highlight=242

pete

Back