• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Chain Cover - Best Use of RTV?

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone,

My XJ '89 I-6 project started out just replacing the fuel injectors, then figured the water pump should replaced with 95,000...along with all new hoses. Then the Harmonic Balancer or Vibration Damper had to be replaced as the rubber is coming out. So now I'm replacing the Timing Chain Cover gasket since some of the bolts were loose and there was an oil leak I could never find, but I think I finally found my culprit!

Anyway the instructions recommends to lightly glue the gasket to the engine, then place Black RTV to the cover and bolt on.

Is this the best way? Or is there a better way?

Do I do the same where the timing chain cover and oil pan meet?

Can I use the high temp Red RTV instead? Since I have a lot of it.

Also want to thank the person who recommended to attach a breaker bar to the Harmonic Balancer's bolt and kick over the engine to loosen the bolt! Worked like a charm.

If anyone is interested the Harmonic Balancer's bolt is a 3/4 inch. The breaker bar's handle was placed under the passenger side front chassis frame. Engine was kicked over just under a second and bolt was loose!

Best,

John V.

Yep - 3/4" head with 1/2"-20 thread...

You apply RTV to the gasket on both sides (thin layer) and tack it in place. Install cover.

You CAN use RTV Red, but it's overkill. Using it because you have so much of it isn't a problem, tho... You DO want to use a little extra as a filler in the corners where the timing cover bottom/oil sump bow and oil sump rails meet - probably about the size of a pea. If you can, get the "pea" in between the ends of the gasket parts, mate the gasket parts, and then install the cover. This will assure maximum fill of any resultant gap.

Two points on the front main seal -
1) Apply RTV to the outside rim before you drive it in (if you haven't already.)
2) Grease the harmonic damper hub before you install it. This helps prevent damage to the seal.

5-90

Thanks 5-90,

5-90 you asked a few weeks ago for specs on the fuel injectors I got from fivemotorsport.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=308542

The injectors did not come with any specs or paper work. I will say they installed fine and I ran the engine a little and runs very smooth...that's just before my repair odyssey began.

I did run into an install glitch with the injectors...I wasn't sure if the brown caps came off or not. As it turns out they stay on!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38877

John V.

Back