• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

have a problem

big cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
when im backing out of my drive way (which is on a down hill) i hit the brakes and can visually watch the front axle move back and forth i checked all of my contol arm and there tight, i dont think there at the right lenthted thougth. would that cause the movement up front. also what is the easiest way to put the arms at the right lengthed. heres what i have under the front end of the jeep.

re hd track bar,with drop bracket,
re super flex uppter adjustible arms
lowere tera flex adjustible arms
re 4.5 spring with 2in spacers.

please help with any ideas.

Is the axle moving fore and aft, or side-to-side?

To answer your question, length would not ... COULD not ... cause movement. Loose attachments or worn bushings/Johnny joints could cause (allow) movement.

Yeah, HOW tight are your control arms? They have to be gorilla tight. The LCAs have to be something like 133 ft.-lbs., or they will move fore and aft.

Last edited:
xjohnnyc said:
Yeah, HOW tight are your control arms? They have to be gorilla tight. The LCAs have to be something like 133 ft.-lbs., or they will move fore and aft.

I've never needed that much?????????

The bolt should fit through the sleave without much slop. I have seen where the bolts were left loose and the bolt and sleave get worn enough for slop though.

Lincoln, check your FSM...I think it's supposed to be like 120 ft-lbs for the LCAs

Yucca-Man said:
Lincoln, check your FSM...I think it's supposed to be like 120 ft-lbs for the LCAs

Don't have an FSM. Not trying to argue about the torque I just never need that much to keep movement down unless parts were worn. You shouldn't have slop from a loose bolt unless it's to loose to begin with. Yes improper torque will cause the wear. :)

do you have control arm drop brackets? If so do you have the braces that back them up?

DB's without the braces can be the devil to keep tight...

Back