• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and 6.5" lift

SlippinandSlidin

NAXJA Forum User
The lift install was finished today. On the way to the alignment shop, there were no vibes besides having the big tires on. My question is when will I see the vibes or is it possible that I don't need to install a SYE and CV Driveshaft? I installed the tcase lowering kit which gave me an inch.
Its a 1998 cherokee 4 door
6.5" front coils
4.5" rear springs
2" shackles

No problems installing the lift, was just hoping I wouldn't need the SYE.

Thanks

You dont want to run that way for too long. The slip yoke may not vibrate, but it will ride furhter back on the output shaft, putting undue stress and wear on the output. If nothing else pick up a slip yoke from a YJ, and swap them out (they are about 1/2" longer)

logdog said:
If nothing else pick up a slip yoke from a YJ, and swap them out (they are about 1/2" longer)

On the pre-95 NP231 the slip yoke was shorter than the YJ. His best bet would be a SYE and a new shaft. Those ujoints are going to wear out fast at this rate...

The other thing that you have to watch out for besides vibes is Ujoint binding. I had no vibes a 6" with the YJ yoke, and it would probably have been fine for a DD, but after wheeling even on mild runs, you could see the marks on the Ujoint yoke where it had reached its angular limit and had been hitting. It was just a matter of time before something gave. You would really hate to have the front yoke break and the driveshaft drop while you are driving. That would be a wild ride.

I already have the AA SYE and CV driveshaft. So you guys think I should put them on? The install instructions look pretty good, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the quick replys guys

Its a no brainer.

i have a 4.5 and need a slip yoke is there a way to get a used one? if anyone knows let me know. and about the yj will it work with a 96 xj?

most definetly, especially since you already have them

Thanks for all the help guys. The SYE and driveshaft got done today. All the vibration is gone, it rides like the lift was never installed. I guess the vibration wasn't the tires.

Thanks

You Said pre 95's are shorter than YJ yokes, does that mean my '90 could run close to 6" without a SYE as a DD? I would lower the transfer case of course....

Back